Fossil Hunt South Dakota 2017

RJB

21 hours ago, Bozark said:

I've found the best solution for iron stone is a small engraver for jewelry and the like. Those little ones that use AAA batteries are handy and cheap, and they'll burn through matrix. It's slow through thick stuff, but when there's a thin layer you can slide small pieces off with the rotation.

Can you show an image of one of these @Bozark I'm interested in something like this. 

IMHO anything that uses a rotary motion should only be used for smoothing matrix or polishing. Grinding does not allow the preparator to make use of the natural tendency for the matrix to separate from the fossil. This can only be capitalized upon by a striking motion (air scribe, chisel, etc). Rotary motion provides a greater opportunity for the preparator to damage the specimen.

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

IMHO anything that uses a rotary motion should only be used for smoothing matrix or polishing. Grinding does not allow the preparator to make use of the natural tendency for the matrix to separate from the fossil. This can only be capitalized upon by a striking motion (air scribe, chisel, etc). Rotary motion provides a greater opportunity for the preparator to damage the specimen.

This is not a suitable generalization.  I have both rotary and impact tools, including an air-abrasive machine and have found uses for all of 'em.  For example, rotary wire brushes are useful for removing Goethite (an iron oxide, common on river fossils") from fossil teeth.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

7 hours ago, Harry Pristis said:

This is not a suitable generalization.  I have both rotary and impact tools, including an air-abrasive machine and have found uses for all of 'em.  For example, rotary wire brushes are useful for removing Goethite (an iron oxide, common on river fossils") from fossil teeth.

I stand corrected. My intent was to say that impact is preferred over grinding for the reasons I mentioned. Rotary motion is too general as I completely agree with your wire wheel example.

On 7/24/2017 at 2:32 PM, JohnBrewer said:

Can you show an image of one of these @Bozark I'm interested in something like this. 

See attached. It's not the exact model but I use something similar for a lot of my work- especially around white river teeth and skulls.

On 7/25/2017 at 5:35 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

I stand corrected. My intent was to say that impact is preferred over grinding for the reasons I mentioned. Rotary motion is too general as I completely agree with your wire wheel example.

I generally prefer impact too. If you don't know the exact depth of the bone you're cleaning matrix from it's a lot easier to damage it with a rotating tool. Just gives less tactile feedback imho. I generally use a tool like the one pictured in thin matrix around bones I know the depth of but that are too fragile for microjack work.

engraver.png

Hey @Bozark, that is a really neat lookin tool.  Im assuming its battery powered and may I aks where you get one of those?   Thanks

RB

On 7/13/2017 at 3:26 PM, RJB said:

Aaaaaaalrighty then.  This freakin beauty took a HECK of alot of work!  Lots and lots and lots of rock to remove.   The large ammonite is Hoploscaphites spedini, the two below it are Discoscaphites conradi and the little flat one on the left is Sphenodiscus.   This one is one of those rocks where the more I worked on it, the better it got!!!  This beautiful multi specimen is from the Fox Hills Formation.  Very happy with this one.   :)

RB

DSCN1141.JPGSuper cool ammonites Ron

DSCN1142.JPG

DSCN1143.JPG

DSCN1144.JPG

Cephalopods rule!!

Just Fantastic Ron,

A work of art that you have created out of light gray rocks laying on the ground. :wub:

I am envious of your hobby, your luck and especially your skills. and you say that what really interests you are those crabs..  Life is good!!!   Jack

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Hey @Bozark, that is a really neat lookin tool.  Im assuming its battery powered and may I aks where you get one of those?   Thanks

RB

They're pretty easy to find on bug online retail stores or hobby shops. I can't give you a specific URL but if you look up "jewelry engraver" or "engraver pen" you'll see similar products. Usually they use AAA batteries

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, finally got back to prepping.  My compressor was out of order for about a month!  i was going nuts!  Did some work on this lobster concretion this morning and am finding out that I now have a 3 clawed lobster?  Ha!!!  Just kidding.  The really bad thing is that the two claws in the middle are right square on top of the one good lobster that I know is there.  Not sure what to do now?  Im going to pedistal them and see what else I can find and go from there.    Might have to 'sacrifice' those claws?  This one is going to take some time. 

RB

Lobster#1C.JPG

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 0:26 AM, RJB said:

Aaaaaaalrighty then.  This freakin beauty took a HECK of alot of work!  Lots and lots and lots of rock to remove.   The large ammonite is Hoploscaphites spedini, the two below it are Discoscaphites conradi and the little flat one on the left is Sphenodiscus.   This one is one of those rocks where the more I worked on it, the better it got!!!  This beautiful multi specimen is from the Fox Hills Formation.  Very happy with this one.   :)

RB

DSCN1141.JPG

DSCN1142.JPG

DSCN1143.JPG

DSCN1144.JPG

Wow !

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

That lobster piece looks like quite a challenge.

It could be a unique display piece with the extra claws.

I have no doubt that You will bring out the best it has.

:thumbsu:

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

• 3 weeks later...

I got back to work on one of my last projects from this trip to South Dakota.  Its a rather big rock with a few ammo's in it, but its gunna take a lot of work.  I did glue up the two pieces back onto the rock about 2 months ago, but then my compressor when on the frits for a month so i didnt get started till today.  This first one I attacked has some problems but it sure is colorful!!!   Got a very long ways to go on this one, but hoping that I run into some more ammo's?   that would be fantastic!!!   My fingers are crossed!

RB

MultirockA.JPG

MultirockB.JPG

.... like a box of chocolates!!! With these glimpses of future glory, I can appreciate the possibilities.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Absolutely stunning Ron, I was hoping to never get to the end of this thread - I have great respect for your skills!

I am still waiting to see the 3 clawed lobster!:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:(And I am running short on pop corn!)

but the extra eye candy is really nice.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you guys.  I do what I can with what I got.  and ynot, I put that 3 clawed lobster aside for awhile because soooooo disapointed in it.  I will get to someday? 

RB

Ok, been busy working getting all our wood chopped and stacked and ready for winter but did get a bit more work done on this rock.  I exposed the other ammonite where I glued on a piece of rock.   Looks like its gunna be a purty good one too, (Hoploscaphites nicoletti)  I think both are nicoleti?   And I also took a photo of the 3rd side.  its gunna be a lot of rock removal and hopefully I will find another one or two?  This one is gunna take awhile. 

RB

MultirockC.JPG

MultirockD.JPG

Archived