What is this?

c-rock

im not sure what this is but its beautiful. found in a rock pile with corals, and many other rocks and fossils. is this a type of sea coral? or is this a rock. it makes me think of cave formations. any feedback appreciated. its 25 inches in diameter.

image.jpg

Could be agatized coral, bit my guess is geode. Geodes are mini caves, or you could also say caves are large geodes:)

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

vugs

CalciteondolomiteTatevil.JPG.6b76e7519dffdda0e192afe22baeef4a.JPG

picture from here .

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

2 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

Could be agatized coral, bit my guess is geode. Geodes are mini caves, or you could also say caves are large geodes:)

Sorry, but this statement is soooo wrong.

Geodes are hollow crystal lined rocks and although there is a vague resemblance to a cave that is as far as it goes. they are not formed the same way and do not look the same. Some geodes are formed from organic remains, but many are volcanic in origins.

The original post looks like a piece of limestone karst with remnants of cave flowstone on it. Definitely not a geode.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I was saying that as geodes and some caves are both (normally) hollow spaces in rock that may have a chemical precipitate form nice crystals, this is how they resemble each other. A cave is described by the Webster definition as " a large hole that was formed by natural processes in the side of a cliff or hill or under the ground" therefore hollow subterranean geodes are, to certain small creatures such as bacterium, caves.That being said, everything you said was correct and my statement was lacking and incorrect, sorry.

Just one more thing, one large geode is a sizable cave. The crystal cave of Ohio is a large Celestine geode (these crystal caves are sometimes known as vugs) that is large enough to fit inside.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived