First try on a prep job, Russian Trilobite

holdinghistory

Just got this Russian trilobite in the mail. I haven't done any fossil prep before, but am really excited to get started. I tested the matrix with a pin and it feels fairly soft, I think a lot softer than the fossil. Right now I just have hand tools, but I do have an air abrasive machine coming in the mail. I haven't used one before though, so I don't want to start on this one. I do have an identical trilobite all prepped already, so it will serve as a good anatomical reference. My thought is to remove all the rock above the trilobite and use the longer side of matrix (left side in first pic) as a base (cutting it level to stand on). Not quite sure how to approach removing the large amount of rock. Once I get down to the trilobite I feel a little more confident.

IMG_4698.JPG

IMG_4699.JPG

IMG_4700.JPG

I am not a prepper so I can't offer any real advice (the knowledgeable ones will be along soon, I'm sure) but if a piece like that can be had for a reasonable price, I'm tempted to give it a go myself... Is the matrix soft enough to go at with hand tools (dental pics, etc), including bulk removal? I wonder if you got a small diamond blade such as what you get with a Dremel, you could cut off some of the bulk matrix, and then use finer methods once you're down closer to the bug?

As I have not done any prep work myself, I can not offer any advice. But good luck and I am looking forward to seeing the end result.:popcorn:

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

That looks like a fun project. If it were mine (your mileage may vary), I would use a sewing needle with a gripping surface built up with tape, or a tiny screw driver, or a dental pick, or preferably, a carbide needle in a pin vise. At the margin where the fossil is exposed; take your chosen implement and push it into the matrix at a right angle to the fossil. What you are aiming for is a small fracture that breaks away a piece of matrix at the margin. If there is a natural separation between the fossil and matrix (often the case) the shard will break away leaving a relatively clean new exposure of fossil. This will work well (assuming it is not a sticky piece*) where the matrix immediately over the fossil is not too thick (say 1/4 " or less). If this technique is working for you, you can chisel or grind areas of thicker matrix to get down to a workable depth for matrix "popping." Try it on a piece of relatively thin matrix at the margin of matrix/exposed fossil. See how your matrix behaves. Have fun. It will be a great project. The danger is relatively small without power tools, but do protect your eyes.

* Some matrix is tenaciously adhered to the fossil surface, rendering this method impractical.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

My preferred tool for hand matrix removal is a large sewing needle in a pin vise. I grind the tip of the needle into an angled chisel point to help keep from poking the specimen with the conical point as you work close to the specimen. If the matrix is soft enough, I would use this to remove the bulk as well. You can use a small drywall screw and a hammer to chip away larger chunks but beware of trying to take too much material at once. This ultimately results in catastrophic damage to the specimen.

Slow and steady wins the race. Work on it for a bit and go do something else. Plan for this to take around 15-20 hours by hand. Always use magnification of some kind. It is almost impossible not to damage a specimen without it.

Consider this philosophical approach to preparation: The goal is to remove the matrix from the specimen not to remove the specimen from the matrix. This approach puts the removal to be done on the part of the matrix rather than the specimen. With preparation, removal = breakage therefore, you are mentally placing the burden of breakage on the matrix rather than the fossil. Trust me, it makes a difference. :P

Good luck.

Thanks all! It is underway. I removed a lot of the large piece of rock, but it is slow going on the rest. Trying to be especially careful until I find can locate exactly where the trilobite is under the rest of the matrix. So far the only problem is not wanting to take a break! Hand was getting sore popping off the larger matrix so I removed the lighter pieces in the back.

the two guys above provide good tips.  I tell my beginner volunteers here at the museum that it is better to do a good job slowly than a bad job fastly.  

That is one good looking bug.  Always start with the best example and go slow.

Best wishes.

2 hours ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@Ptychodus04 like you would know! :P ;)

Oh, I know. I'm at the fun stage on half a dozen trilobites that some computer programmer from the northeast shipped me! :blink:

44 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Oh, I know. I'm at the fun stage on half a dozen trilobites that some computer programmer from the northeast shipped me! :blink:

You're killing me inside! :rofl: That is such a random scenario!

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

• 4 months later...

Your first prep job.  That had to be very exciting for you!  Nice job too.  Now all you need is more fossils and more tools for lots more fun.

RB

I'd say this was well done!    :1-SlapHands_zpsbb015b76:  :fistbump:

Great job, especially for a first try.  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 2 weeks later...

Great job with hand tools. Small amounts of water added to the matrix (think eye dropper) makes it easier to remove the matrix.

Bravo! Definitely a piece to be proud of. Thanks for showing us the process. :)

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Well done that looks really good and for a first try too! Forgot to ask how many hours did you end up spending on this piece?

Archived