Holzmaden Ammonites

FossilDudeCO

I recently acquired quite a few boxes of fossils from an old collection. Lots of fun stuff from all over!

I need some help identifying some of the holzmaden ammonites. I want to try myself first, so I will skip pictures for now, but a paper in English would be really nice!

Maybe....

@doushantuo

@Fruitbat

Anyone else?

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Well ,I've got just the thing for you,but that's the way of the world:it's in German,and too big to post

Columns(translated):species,sutureline,cross-section,(remarks on)ornamentation,biometrics

bercofimages.jpg

doggerman.jpg

Wow!  There is not much out there on ammonites from the Holzmaden Shale or Posidonia Shale...at least not in English!  I'll keep looking!

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

2 hours ago, Fruitbat said:

Wow!  There is not much out there on ammonites from the Holzmaden Shale or Posidonia Shale...at least not in English!  I'll keep looking!

-Joe

That's probably because the ammonites are paper thin, all relatively common and for those reasons probably not worth a scientific paper. Dactylioceras, Harpoceras, Hildoceras and Lytoceras are the more common ones which you often see worked into clocks or wall plaques. Just click on the photos in this link .The book that Doushantuo is refering to is the German "bible" on Middle Jurassic ammonites from Rudolf Schlegelmilch, "Die Ammoniten des Süddeutschen Doggers".   

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Makes perfect sense to me!  Now...I think we need to describe a few more genera.  Then we could have Harpoceras, Chicoceras, Grouchoceras, Gummoceras and Zeppoceras:ighappy:

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

1 hour ago, Fruitbat said:

Makes perfect sense to me!  Now...I think we need to describe a few more genera.  Then we could have Harpoceras, Chicoceras, Grouchoceras, Gummoceras and Zeppoceras:ighappy:

-Joe

:rofl:

Shoo! I am relieved! I thought maybe my research skills were worse than I thought!

Thanks @doushantuo @FruitbatAnd @Ludwigia

Big help :)

I will learn enough German to give my new treasures names, then post pics to see if you all agree!!

3 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Shoo! I am relieved! I thought maybe my research skills were worse than I thought!

Thanks @doushantuo @FruitbatAnd @Ludwigia

Big help :)

I will learn enough German to give my new treasures names, then post pics to see if you all agree!!

Actually all you need to know is a bit of Latin :P

• I found this Informative 2

Ok here we go!

First a picture of most of the plates. I had 33 plates total. I just randomly grabbed a majority of them.

I am EXTREMELY happy with this purchase. it came out to $1.68US per piece of shale.

DSCN4704.thumb.JPG.629db797aacc4cfcf5d384b90c7b0075.JPG

Now let's try to ID some!

Dactylioceras siemensi

DSCN4705.thumb.JPG.8d03213e92a619e171c9286f7521a848.JPGDSCN4707.thumb.JPG.ae1d179902058c91a794bd3cc48e88ac.JPG

Lytoceras trautscholdi

DSCN4709.thumb.JPG.52a23769d598b319e47da1c1903569c4.JPG

DSCN4711.thumb.JPG.f2e3c6b2d73429aafcd92e49212a05a0.JPG

Eleganticeras elegantum .....................I have no idea what that is I circled in RED. I just noticed it in the pictures.

DSCN4712.thumb.JPG.7f9bb050c5ea531451a8a23e584bd4db.JPG

I am thinking Dactylioceras siemensi and Lytoceras trautscholdi

DSCN4706.thumb.JPG.c6388e8b248bb87ee7697bc4052119b9.JPG

DSCN4710.thumb.JPG.14a7903b72d729da132227ce9cd034d2.JPG

@Ludwigia @Fruitbat @JohnBrewer @doushantuo @RJB @Jeffrey P

Lets see how I did :) 

@aerogrower I can't ID the strange cube in my photos though :P What is the name of it for my ID tag?

Oh and if the ID's need to be fixed give me a shout!

I would be curious to know if I got any rare ones in the bunch?

The one with the repaired crack is staying with my collection for sure as it is the only one that looks like that!

4 hours ago, FossilDudeCO said:

Oh and if the ID's need to be fixed give me a shout!

I would be curious to know if I got any rare ones in the bunch?

You would need to substitute the names Dactylioceras commune for D.siemensi, and Harpoceras falsifer for both Lytoceras trautscholdi and Eleganticeras elegantum. Sorry to say this, but they are the most common ammonites by far there. Your mystery object is a Bositra buchi bivalve. It used to be called Posidonia bronni, for which the entire Formation was given its name. Unfortunately the original identification turned out to be false, so the name of the bivalve had to be changed. The name of the Formation, however, remains.

• I found this Informative 4

Nice deal. The one piece of Holzmaden I once bought was both retouched (colored) and coated with something waxy.

I like the one with the bivalve on it. (weakness for association pieces)

Nice score some, pretty looking plates! Cant beat the price either. No question about scale now is there? Don't really have a name for the cube, although @SailingAlongToo referred to it as his magic cube because of the nice finds he got his first trip out with it lol. Just glad you guys are putting them to good use.

48 minutes ago, RJB said:

Genus:         Cubus

speices:        inchi

RB   :) 

I like it @RJB!

1 hour ago, RJB said:

Genus:         Cubus

speices:        inchi

RB   :) 

Family: Aerogroweridea

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World