June 2017 Finds of the Month

Fossildude19

Hi,

Oh ! Marvelous ! Did you know when you found it that there were two skulls ?

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Holy Cow Caterpillar, that is one amazing find and such a lovely job on the prep.  Also, very green with envy.

On 6/23/2017 at 7:37 AM, caterpillar said:

Just finished to prep

Date found: october 2016

Formation: White River

Name: Oreodont and maybe Daphoenus

Wow!

If at first you don't succeed, try again! Alright , wasn't going to do it, but I figured what the hey? My entry for invertebrate find of the month another Dipleura dekayi trilobite. I figured if I enter one every month, either you will feel bad for me and give me your vote, or you will get sick of me and give me your vote, or you may actually realize what an outstanding fossil find a Dipleura really is and give me your vote!:D 

Found- 6-25-17

Cole Hill Road

Sangerfield, New York

Middle Devonian

20170625_182517.jpg

20170625_182537.jpg

20170625_182602.jpg

20170625_182546.jpg

20170626_230656.jpg

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Hey @Darktooth, you one funny guy.   I almost feel sorry for all the voters.  How does one choose from all these super nice fossils? 

RB

10 hours ago, smt126 said:

@Darktooth at least it's an invertebrate. That double skull pretty much has the vertebrate spot locked up

Yes that one is going to be tough to beat!

23 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hey @Darktooth, you one funny guy.   I almost feel sorry for all the voters.  How does one choose from all these super nice fossils? 

RB

RB, the point is that you are are supposed to feel sorry for me, not anyone else!:P

• I found this Informative 1

8 hours ago, Darktooth said:

RB, the point is that you are are supposed to feel sorry for me, not anyone else!:P

Absolutely despicable! :(

Trying for pity votes to win in this contest.:headscratch:

(Wish I had thought of that! :hearty-laugh:)

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

@ynot How's this? If I can't get sympathy with this face, nothing will work.

20170627_190059.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

I've been absent from the forum since a few months now.

So I might try a come back via a FOTM entry with my favorite type of fossil:

Manticoceras sp. ( goniatite)

Late Devonian ( frasnian ) Belgium

( from saturday 24/06/2017 )

thats my best specimen so far from that location

20170627_134905.thumb.jpg.d1bdd0cabff9a90dcef3db834bed5e1c.jpg20170627_134901.thumb.jpg.2ab27b6e1190f17db9c62d97113a1e12.jpg

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

On 6/25/2017 at 6:21 PM, RJB said:

Ok, some very nice stuff here for sure!  Ive never posted anything for fossil of the month before.  It was @ynot that brought it to my attention.  Here is the very best, most colorful little 2 inch Spheno ammonite that ive ever prepped.  Like always,  I wish I could capture the color on this thing.  Lots and lots of color, you just cant see it.  I also saved the 'cap rock' for it too and its even more colorfull than the actual specimen!   Anyways, here ya go.

Oh, I had my son cut off a big hunk of rock and I figured he saw this thing sittin on the side of the rock and he brought me back the opposing piece and threw this piece aside!!!    I thoought it was destroyed, but he went back out and picked it up and brought it back inside.  Everything was good.  Wheeeeew!   Close one!!! 

RB

Ron, 

To be entered properly, your item must have a date found, date prep finished, ID, Formation/area found, and Age information. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Any pity votes left for me? :P

Found June 24.

This is a partially pyritized lycopod from the lower Mississippian Pocono Group of Maryland, the species Lepidondedropsis vandergrachti.

350 million years ago the Purslane Formation would have been a riverine environment criss crossed by many streams and rivers flowing towards an inland sea that existed where modern Ohio is now. Along their banks stood primitive, primordial forests of fern like plants and taller lycopods. In the Pocono strata of Maryland, the accumulation of plant material (chiefly Triphyllopteris and Lepidondedropsis) in the riverine environments has lead to the formation of coal beds, a rare sight for rocks of such age. This has also preserved the plants with a nice sheen, a trait rare for this age (most fossils are carbon films).

This specimen in particular was interesting for a couple of reasons. It's fairly large to start off with (a few inches), but what's also interesting is the size of the leaf scars, which show up very well in this specimen (contrast with the earlier entry of L. sigillaroides). What's more is that this specimen is pyritized (the golden bit on the right hand side), which adds a nice touch to it all.

Personally I didn't even know that these types of plants existed this early on (I've always thought they lived in the Pennsylvanian, let alone the early Mississippian), so finding these fossils has been pretty cool and has opened up an interest in plant fossils for me. The Mississippian marks a transition from the earlier Devonian faunas to the later Pennsylvanian ones, and we begin to see a growing importance of certain types of plants like lycopods in Mississippian strata. Apparently, also, land fossils of the Mississippian are pretty rare, which I didn't know. I guess that's something you guys sacrificed for when you got all your crinoids :P.

Well at least I got to talk a bit about this guy. It may not be The Fossil Forum's fossil of the month, but it'll still be one of mine.

plant 1.jpg

plant 2.jpg

On 6/27/2017 at 6:07 PM, Darktooth said:

@ynot How's this? If I can't get sympathy with this face, nothing will work.

20170627_190059.jpg

I hope they include this picture when it comes time for the voting :rofl:

I am counting on it!

Nothing to enter, just want to say I was with caterpillar when he found this double skuller in the field and in the CT room, and I have never had the good fortune of finding a double skull with different species.  Not that he needs too much help, but that is a kick butt specimen.  Even for the White River which is loaded with great fossils. 

17 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hey @Fossildude19, I cant see how to edit my post?  I guess i will just forget it till next fossil trip. 

RB

Hi Ron,

There's a time limit on how long a member has to edit his or her posts (I think it is 24 or 48 hours?). We implemented that to prevent problems with thread continuity. 

But you are still welcome and encouraged to submit another post if you still want your hat in the ring for FOTM! :) 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thank you @Kane.   Ok then, we'll just forget about that first post.   Here is Scaphites spedini from the Fox Hills Formation, Cretaceous in age and found in South Dakota in the Timber lake area about May 28th or 29th.   You can see the big crack in the rock which terrified me, but actually helped me out greatly getting this ammo out of the rock.   I was able to save almost all the spines on this making for a really cool fossil ammo.  This one is already in my son's collection.

RB

DSCN1051.JPG

DSCN1064.JPG

DSCN1065.JPG

DSCN1066.JPG

DSCN1067.JPG

I'll throw this in as my first entry for IPFOTM :)

Tealliocaris woodwardi  multiblock from the Gullane Formation of the Lower Carboniferous/Mississippian, East Lothian, Scotland found 13/06/17. 

IMGP5910.jpg

IMGP5909.jpg

IMGP5952.jpg

• I found this Informative 5