DevonianDigger

Hello, everyone. I'm working on a side project right now and I could use the input of the room for this one. I'm wondering what people consider to be the best fossil collecting sites public and private in the contiguous 48 states. I'm looking for everything. Vertebrates and invertebrates, all periods, just the cream of the crop for everything. I don't need exact locations, so don't worry about sharing super-secret specifics.

Thank you in advance everyone!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Penn Dixie! 

Sharktooth Hill

U-Dig.

Deep Springs Road. 

Cole Hill Road.

For starters. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks Jay, I did see that - No worries. ;) 

Nah, keep 'em, you can show me where to get my own next time. :D   

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 minute ago, Fossildude19 said:

Penn Dixie! 

Sharktooth Hill

U-Dig. ANTELOPE SPRINGS

Deep Springs Road. 

Cole Hill Road.

For starters. ;) 

I agree with Tim on these but would add...

Sandia mountains NM

Humboldt mountains NV

Green river WY

Fox hills SD

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Private land in Kemmerer, WY

Including Warfield Quarry and Thompson Ranch (Pisces prehistoric)

Florissant Quarry for eocene bugs and leaves

Douglas Pass eocene leaves

Thanks, everyone! These are great, feel free to keep them coming if you've got them. 

I'll hopefully be sharing soon the reason for the survey, but still have some things to work out before I can spill the beans!

Jay A. Wollin

Lead Fossil Educator - Penn Dixie Fossil Park and Nature Reserve

Hamburg, New York, USA

Wow...what a broad-ranging topic for a survey!  Let's see...for me, the most productive sites would have to be:

• Private lands in the Eocene/Oligocene badlands of Nebraska, South Dakota and Wyoming
  • North Sulphur River, TX
  • Pleistocene Trinity River deposits, TX
  • Pennsylvanian exposures in the vicinity of Jack County, TX

I'm sure I can think of more, but these are the ones that pop into my head right now.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Anyplace in north Texas where they are building or excavating.:)

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Because my travel time is limited and local fossils are hard to come by... The Fossil Forum is my favorite fossil collecting site. Does that count ;)

jcbshark's hidden river gems in Southern Florida and the now inaccessable St Claire fossil fern site.

Meherrin River, NE North Carolina

it's been mighty good to us

Craig

These are a few well known sites that come to mind, mostly closed to recreational collecting.

The Hell Creek Formation in Montana is a classic dinosaur collecting locality, all the way back to the bone wars. Vertebrate fossil hunting is generally illegal on public lands in the state unless you are with a research institution. Even private lands can be legally dubious (see Peter Larson).

The La Brea tar pits.

The Thomas Farm site in Florida, a sinkhole with a lot of Miocene vertebrates (http://prehistoricflorida.org/thomas-farm-site/).

The El Capitan Permian reef.

• 2 weeks later...

The Ordivician surrounding Cincinnati. Northward up to Dayton OH, West over to eastern Ind, East over to Wilmington, OH. Kind of a half circle down to Northern KY

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a little late to the punch, but since the closing of St.Clair, Carbondale is a good place to look for Carboniferous things, and the trilobite ridge for spiriferids and occasionally its namesake.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived