llama/Camel Canine tooth

Shellseeker

I found this a couple of days ago.  This is a rare fossil for me -- only my 2nd Camel canine. I figured I would share with those who had not previously although Nate seems to have quite a few available,

I am posting to find out a couple of things. How do experts differentiate between a tooth from Palaeolama Mirafica and Hemiauchenia macrocephala ? Are wolf teeth in camels upper or lower (Yes) jaws? There is a wear mark on the inside of this tooth. Does that positively identify position. Thanks in any assistance in typing the description that goes with this find.  JackCamelWolfTooth.thumb.jpg.04abffb02d0b6d2de5b0a3f58f18353d.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 6/1/2017 at 11:40 PM, doushantuo said:

an article on camelid tooth wear:

honemam04camelidscarnB2.pdf

Thanks,  I have been browsing the internet. trying to answer my questions:

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/florida-vertebrate-fossils/species/hemiauchenia-macrocephala/

How do experts differentiate between a tooth from Palaeolama Mirafica and Hemiauchenia macrocephala ?

AT LEAST ONE WAY IS DIET. TAKE SCRAPINGS OF TEETH AND ANALYZE THE DNA. THERE  ARE LIKELY OTHER WAYS.  I NOTE THAT @PrehistoricFlorida HAS DIFFERENTIATED CANINES FROM THE TWO LLAMAS. i AM NOT SURE HOW, THUS MY ATTEMPT TO ASK HIS ASSISTANCE.

Are wolf teeth in camels upper or lower (Yes) jaws?

I MISTAKENLY USE THE WORD WOLFTOOTH. THESE ARE CANINES (C1). THE CANINES ARE IN BOTH UPPER AND LOWER JAWS OPPOSING EACH OTHER.

There is a wear mark on the inside of this tooth. Does that positively identify position.

NO . THERE ARE 2 POSSIBLE POSITIONS FOR THIS TOOTH. LOWER RIGHT AND UPPER LEFT.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

There's plenty on both species on the internet,but,very few figured canines

molla_medium.jpg

both upper and lower jaws have "canines"(modified incisors)

Webb(but not the indispensable one,alas)

Vol-37-No-19.pdf

Needless, to say ,Fruitbat's needs to be perused before doing any internet searches:dinothumb:

The above one is in there as well,BTW 

1 hour ago, doushantuo said:

Webb(but not the indispensable one,alas)

Vol-37-No-19.pdf

Needless, to say ,Fruitbat's needs to be perused before doing any internet searches:dinothumb:

The above one is in there as well,BTW 

Why do I not find Fruitbat's resource by a google search of "Paleolama Mirifica canine"  and looking at the images?  How did you find this document? because inside the pdf is this drawing that I would immediately focus on...  I m interested in a fossil llama canine from florida.  How do I find this pdf from Fruitbat's library?   thanks Jack

PalaeolamaMirificaMandible.thumb.jpg.a5271771f6ffb3bb1893490efce2e072.jpg

I am a reasonably experienced Vertebrate paleontology Googler,that's why.:P

Canine might confuse Google,with its multiple contexts.

I always Google with different methods and search terms ,to see what comes up.

It's very simple: the best way to determine fossils is reading the technical literature.

I know,not everybody shares my ideas on this.:ninja:

But I think the proper way to increase your knowledge about fossils is reading the professional literature.

And one or two good blogs.

Avoid powerpointy and snazzy stuff,a lot of the times that's no good

BTW,I agree with Kane: Google isn't what it ought to be