Fossil Site Recs in Japan?

Gallifreya

Hi,

I'm super casual about fossil hunting - I'll do it when I get the chance and enjoy it but I'm afraid it's not my life's passion (yet)

My usual haunts are Walton-on-the-Naze and other nearby sites, the kind you can wander about and either pick up fragments or break rocks without too much extra equipment.

And now I'm in Japan. I've come to Iwate, a prefecture on the northern end of the main island, and will be living here for a while. So how can I find out what sites are near me, and does anyone know the area or have any recommendations? Google is turning up sites that are either museum-only, commercially excavated and private areas, or a fossil park on a different island at the other end of the country.

Wish I could help. We have a few members with experience hunting in Japan. Hopefully they'll chime in. Welcome to the forum.

Best regards

...I'm back.

Hi and welcome to tff.  

Thanks for making me aware of these thread Tony, lately i am not reading and participating to the forum as much as i would like to.

I am currently living in kumamoto prefecture at the opposite way of iwate prefecture but according to books i have there is a lot of fossiliferous formation around there. 

I can provide you some area to search but not very detailled info as i never hunted there. 

Name are in japanese because i do not know how to read it and i want to add that i do not know if the place i mention are private land, parks and so on. 

Means you will have to do some homeworks.

1496730998226-483720808.thumb.jpg.6ef14afb5d30f73df306fdce1c137784.jpg

1, devonian

2, devonian and carboniferous

3, carboniferous

4, permian

• I found this Informative 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

All place are in the south part of the prefecture.

Here are some other location. 

1496731450229-741912265.thumb.jpg.2587cf59bfbf37407d9e7df22f2a95c1.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks, that's really helpful!

I can't read Japanese either, but hopefully someone I know can and will be interested.

Hope you will find cool things and share your hunting experience with all of us.