Fossil-Hound

A few weeks ago I went to one of my favorite secret spots at Calvert Cliffs where I had recovered some Ecphora's in the past (all fairly beat up). That day I recovered a pristine Ecphora in the mud. I carefully extracted the shell nearly 1.5 inches wide and 2.5 inches in height and proceeded to clean the shell in the nearby surf when to my horror a particularly strong wave knocked the shell from my hands and I watched the shell dash to pieces in the surf. I quickly recovered all the pieces I could find but alas I have give this gastropod the name, "Humpty Dumpty." It appears that despite numerous patches with superglue and careful removal of dirt and sand, I simply do not have all the pieces of the puzzle, so without further ado I present my best attempt at preparing and restoring of this once proud shell. The picture with most of the shell exposed and the opening really doesn't look to bad and I might keep it because these are not easy to find from the location I was at (at least not whole).

2017-06-02 10.02.49.jpg

2017-06-02 10.03.00.jpg

2017-06-02 10.03.22.jpg

2017-06-02 10.03.29.jpg

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Even in pieces, it still quite beautiful. I have yet to acquire one myself, they are nor,ally expensive. It is starting to look like I'm gonna have to go down there and find one myself.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

@Fossil-Hound that's terrible! I have had terrible luck in the past as well that resulted in the total destruction of the specimen in question. It's a tough pill to swallow but I'll bet you don't wash them in the ocean again. :P

@Ptychodus04 yeah it was one of the larger Ecphora's I had seen from the area and in my excitement decided to do the dreaded "prep in the field" routine. :mellow: 

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

1 hour ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@Ptychodus04 yeah it was one of the larger Ecphora's I had seen from the area and in my excitement decided to do the dreaded "prep in the field" routine. :mellow: 

Everyone makes that mistake at some point.

Archived