Wenlock edge (Shropshire uk)

salvo1989s

Hello, yesterday I went for a little fossils hunting in wenlock edge , unfortunally just for 2 hours , anyway I came back home with some finds , nothing incredible but its always something :). Here my finds 

IMG_0506.JPG

IMG_0507.JPG

IMG_0508.JPG

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0514.JPG

IMG_0512.JPG

IMG_0515.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

Nice hash plates, and neat little ammo. :) 

I would say that vinegar might ruin the fossils (I'm assuming the matrix is limestone). Without air scribes, etc., you might try a combination of dental picks, pin vises, stiff brushes, and patience. As the hash plates are very busy, you may wish to focus on what you want to bring out (for example, in the first photo, I see a gastropod and possibly some bryozoan material). The ammonite might be a bit of a challenge. The last photo that looks like a Leptaena might be more exposed using a tiny flat-head screwdriver used to pry off the covering matrix (I think I see a crack on the lower right that might be exploited to that purpose). 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

You could try bleach to remove the mud, but the only way to develop this stuff is by hand. I use dental tools, picks, needles and a few dental chisels. It is slow and takes concentration. Try just giving it a brush with a stiff nylon brush, it sometimes takes off enough to see things more clearly and be careful with that Poleumita, it looks like a good one.

• I found this Informative 3
  • I Agree 1

Nice finds :) When I've hunted Wenlock Edge I've found the matrix crazy hard. Always a good idea to bring several sample bits back which you can experiment with preparation either chemical or mechanical. 

Hey @Kane I think you maybe a few million years out. The Wenlockian series was a little before ammonites ;) 

2 minutes ago, JohnBrewer said:

Hey @Kane I think you maybe a few million years out. The Wenlockian series was a little before ammonites ;) 

Colour me schooled! What is it? Those ridges look interesting!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

That 'ammo' with the ornamentation/spines I assumed was a gastropod - what kind, I don't know. Interesting... Hope lots of care is taken in prepping it. (If it were mine I'd send it to someone with experience/reputation)

• I found this Informative 2

As @Taogan said it is a poleumita an ancient snail. Anyway @Wrangellian I think that I will not touch it, I haven't that skills or prepping tools for doing a great job , maybe later I will send to someone. @JohnBreweryes I have some sample I will try something ;) 

Oh, I must have misread it, I thought he was referring to the first snail (pic 1) but I guess he's talking about the 2nd one, being the bigger prepping challenge...

21 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

Oh, I must have misread it, I thought he was referring to the first snail (pic 1) but I guess he's talking about the 2nd one, being the bigger prepping challenge...

Yes I think that the second snail it's a prepping challenge , the first one looks much easier