Max-fossils

Hi all,

I was looking through my bones from the Zandmotor today, when I saw this one. It seems to have quite a weird shape, so maybe it is a complete bone? I'm not that good with mammal anatomy, you out there are probably better than me. 

Found on the Zandmotor, Netherlands, aged from the Pleistocene, most probably from a mammal. 

So my question is, is there anything else to say about this fossil, or is it just a worn piece of bone?

Thanks,

Max

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

No one? :(

I won't be sad/angry/deceived if you tell me it's just a dumb piece of worn bone!

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Again, please be patient. It is the weekend, after all :P.

Keep in mind that our members provide their identification expertise voluntarily, and sometimes it may take a while for others to see the post and offer their opinions. There are some times when there may not be enough diagnostic detail to say what something is, and we must also remember that we have many members who only log in on occasion. 

Trying to bump posts in this way is not the best "netiquette" - you did just post this yesterday, after all. ;) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 minutes ago, Kane said:

Again, please be patient. It is the weekend, after all :P.

Keep in mind that our members provide their identification expertise voluntarily, and sometimes it may take a while for others to see the post and offer their opinions. There are some times when there may not be enough diagnostic detail to say what something is, and we must also remember that we have many members who only log in on occasion. 

Trying to bump posts in this way is not the best "netiquette" - you did just post this yesterday, after all. ;) 

I know I'm being impatient, but the topic was already on the 3rd page (which, let's be honest, very little people still look at), and I'd like to have a reply fast as this week I won't have time to look back at this because of my exams. 

And about the detail thing, if there is a lack of it, I'd much rather have it that someone says "there's not enough detail" than that they say nothing! :)

Max Derème

It's just a dumb piece of worn bone . . . At least, it doesn't speak to me in any unambiguous way.  The last image of the base(?) reminds me of the anchor of an external osteoderm as in giant tortoises and some xenarthrans.

osteodermstortoiseglyptothere.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

4 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

It's just a dumb piece of worn bone . . . At least, it doesn't speak to me in any unambiguous way.  The last image of the base(?) reminds me of the anchor of an external osteoderm as in giant tortoises and some xenarthrans.

osteodermstortoiseglyptothere.jpg

Alright, thanks a lot! At least that's off my mind now :)

Yeah, the two things that made me wonder were that thing, which you're showing, and the fact that it was kinda symmetrical. It also kinda make me think of a rhino toe or something :P

Max Derème

Glyptodonts are strictly American. And I don't think there are any turtles or tortoises in the Pleistocene deposits here in the Netherlands.

Looks like a large mammal carpal or tarsal bone.

It reminds me a bit of the wristbones of woolly rhino I have. Though it does show some differences.

My best guess is mammoth. Though I'm not as familiar with them.

You may get more answers on Fossiel.net since there are a lot of mammoth collectors there.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

28 minutes ago, LordTrilobite said:

Glyptodonts are strictly American. And I don't think there are any turtles or tortoises in the Pleistocene deposits here in the Netherlands.

Looks like a large mammal carpal or tarsal bone.

It reminds me a bit of the wristbones of woolly rhino I have. Though it does show some differences.

My best guess is mammoth. Though I'm not as familiar with them.

You may get more answers on Fossiel.net since there are a lot of mammoth collectors there.

Alright, thanks!

Max Derème