Ammonites from Morocco

Max-fossils

Hi all,

I got those ammonites from @cheney416 in a blind trade. They come from Morocco, but the exact location is unknown. Apparently they are from the Bajocian stage of the Jurassic; 170 mya), but I can't find any Jurassic locations in Morocco containing ammonites...

Does anyone know what species these are, and what location they could come from?

Thanks, 

Max

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

I have some of these, and numerous other species in the same preservation, described as being from the Bajocian of Morocco. I'd also be interested if anyone has any data.

I also have some of those!!! They appear to have iron oxide (Rust) or hematite in their mineralization.

• I found this Informative 3

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

4 hours ago, Aurelius said:

I have some of these, and numerous other species in the same preservation, described as being from the Bajocian of Morocco. I'd also be interested if anyone has any data.

3 hours ago, Ramon said:

I also have some of those!!! They appear to have iron oxide (Rust) or hematite in their mineralization.

3 hours ago, caldigger said:

Yes Ramon they are Hematite replaced.

So no one has a clue?

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

Be patient, as not everyone has logged on in the last six hours. ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

5 minutes ago, Kane said:

Be patient, as not everyone has logged on in the last six hours. ;) 

I know, but with those people having similar ammonites I thought they'd know! But of course patience is always required :)

Max Derème

No, I haven't been able to find any information about these mysterious ammonites!!! But I'm really interested in knowing more about them!!! Anyways, I found these for sale on ebay. They have a card that says their species!!! 

s-l400.jpg.aca85a29dd108a468dec440e78dff2b3.jpg

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

It's clearly from the Phylloceratidae family!!!

20170603_161538.thumb.png.b2d0f27199a21c27c49d0c114579346a.png

20170603_161809.thumb.jpg.2e5627c90791b1eadf80d08083618a3b.jpg

This one is mine!!!

I guess we solved the mystery of what species yours are (and mine)!!!

11 hours ago, Ramon said:

It's clearly from the Phylloceratidae family!!!

20170603_161538.thumb.png.b2d0f27199a21c27c49d0c114579346a.png

20170603_161809.thumb.jpg.2e5627c90791b1eadf80d08083618a3b.jpg

This one is mine!!!

I guess we solved the mystery of what species yours are (and mine)!!!

Phylloceratidae does seem to match, but unfortunately that's only the family name :(

Here is a list that I got from @cheney416 about the possible genuses:

ammonite.JPG.50ef24281707aa1d54d6cfcedf3160aa.JPG.be9e7f2688353cbf2229f8b4f245cc56.JPG

I already googled all of them, and so far for me the best matches are: Pleydellia, Dorsetensia, Holcophylloceras and Hypophylloceras. Hypophylloceras seems to be the one that looks the most like ours. 

But what I'd like to know the most is the location, so if anyone has that I'd be glad to hear it!

Thanks for all the help though Ramon :)

Max Derème

Here is a geological map of Morocco (and Western Sahara); what we should be looking at is the blue.

500px-MoroccoWesternSahara_Geology2.png

Max Derème

I agree, Hypophylloceras is the closest match!!! It's even in the photo I sent you earlier. About the location, the jurassic deposits in Morocco seem to be in the northern part of the country (Where the Atlas mountains are located). 

58 minutes ago, Ramon said:

I agree, Hypophylloceras is the closest match!!! It's even in the photo I sent you earlier. About the location, the jurassic deposits in Morocco seem to be in the northern part of the country (Where the Atlas mountains are located). 

Yeah. Let's hope that there is a known location there from where the ammonites could come from.

Max Derème

2 minutes ago, Fossil-Hound said:

Love these little guys. :wub:

They are indeed adorable!

Max Derème

3 hours ago, Aurelius said:

My source informs me that these are from Nzala, Morocco. 

That's the info we needed! Thank you so much!!! :D:fistbump:

Max Derème

You can check that site.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Most of the members of the Phylloceratidae family look very similar to each other. Without very careful examination we can identify the genus and maybe species. Right now I have mine labeled as Phylloceratidae indet.

8 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Glad I could help!

You sure did!

3 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

You can check that site.

Déjà vu, très intéressant 

Max Derème

3 hours ago, Ramon said:

Most of the members of the Phylloceratidae family look very similar to each other. Without very careful examination we can identify the genus and maybe species. Right now I have mine labeled as Phylloceratidae indet.

Correct. For me, Hypophylloceras fits the best.

Max Derème

• 5 months later...

I'm rather late jumping in on this, but I have this species, I think.

It is indeed Bajocian, Middle Jurassic from the Nzala region of Morocco. 

Several species are found here preserved in haematite. 

But i think Hypophylloceras is a Cretaceous genus? 

I have these listed as Holcophylloceras mediterraneum and they are also found in Spain, Egypt and Italy and i think other places in the Med region.

Here is one of mine for comparison. 

20171207_185335-1.thumb.jpg.771b476760fc2e66ae4f1dc7b4d66c09.jpg

20171207_185519-1.thumb.jpg.4cfe0d6e71909de71cb4883b6ca52219.jpg

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png