Sharks teeth in Michigan

Yrno1fan

We recently went camping in Port Huron, MI and found 7 sharks teeth. Last year a boy found a megalodon tooth in the port Huron river.  We were near Lake Huron. Crazy right?!?

Please post pics of the teeth you found in Michigan.

Wow, I'd  never heard of Michigan shark teeth before. Nice finds!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

The rocks in Michigan are mostly Paleozoic. These teeth are too young to have originated in Michigan ( megalodon is also too young to be found there). Do you think someone could have left these for you to find?

Well that's the interesting part. Where we found them is where there is a mining for gems activity. You buy the bags of sediment/sand and pan with an old mining set up where the water runs down the long channel. We found them throughout there. I called to ask where they got the bags that are sold to see if it was local and she had no idea. I also read that this color they are is due to lying in sediment with ground water that runs through and leaches all the minerals out. Great find regardless. I have been finding sharks teeth for years but only in FL and NC of course. 

That is strange... Must have been the gems and teeth were brought in for the activity and are not local to the area as it is mostly upper Devonian (Kettle Point Fm) at Port Huron just across from Point Edward (Ontario). I can't seem to find "Port Huron River." I see the Black River in Port Huron, but that's about it. :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread344979/pg1

here is the article and it was on several news channels and there are a couple of other links to the same story. That tooth was the same color also. MI did used to be covered by tropic seas in the palezoic era. I'm calling the corporate offices Monday as they are not open on the weekends to get more insight. I'm very curious 

These teeth must be transplants. The tooth on the nickel looks to be of Moroccan origin. Nevertheless, an interesting event.

Yeah these must have been transplanted there. Michigan (and any state/province around this) does not have any Cenozoic marine deposits. The Paleozoic seas did not have any modern-type sharks that would produce these teeth. Looks like somebody bought a bunch of Moroccan teeth and dumped them there.

• 1 year later...

Just caught this conversation... Two years later. I'm from Michigan and not that far from Port Huron. I've never in my life seen a shark tooth in any body of water back home.

On 6/3/2017 at 7:57 PM, fossilselachian said:

These teeth must be transplants. The tooth on the nickel looks to be of Moroccan origin. Nevertheless, an interesting event.

I was going to say looking at the pictures, they look like the ones from the Phosphate deposits in Morocco. The kind you see at all the gem/ fossil shows for a buck a scoop. 

I'll bet these are sold as tourist mining bags which contain "real gemstones and fossils".

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG