Never found one like this

GaRelicHunter

I found this in North GA near Rome GA.

I don't know what this is, but it has to be something.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image4.JPG

4 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I'm afraid it may be banded chert.

Do the bands on banded chert raise up? Look at this thread of the little one in the last photo, they look the same, the ridges on this new rock can be felt also but they aren't as tall

I doubt it would be diagnostic. Someone better qualified to say more will be along soon.

Banded chert was my first thought too. I'm more familiar with European banded flint from the Chalk and the bands are often in raised relief. Try "banded flint" images search.

Tarquin

Banded flint example; 

stone-1.jpg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The minerals included in the "bands" will differ in quantity and mineral included. This will make some layers more susceptible to erosive conditions, and will give the ridged appearance to it.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

For both topics, my proposal would be the dissipative concretionary overgrowth resembling Westerstetten pattern.

"At a much smaller scale, chert concretions in Cretaceous and Tertiary chalks of North Africa (Fig. 9(a) and (b)) are commonly overgrown by chert layers of similar configurations. There is also a certain symmetry between pancakes on the upper and lower side of the nodule, as in Marleik concretions (Fig. 7). Since such overgrowth has never been observed in the millions of chert nodules washed out from the chalk cliffs of Northen Europe, we probably deal with an epigenetic overgrowth caused by silica mobilization under arid conditions. A climatic control is also likely for the Westerstetten karst system, which formed during warm Cretaceous and Tertiary periods, as well as for the Liesegang Rings in Petra sandstones (Fig.3). Nevertheless the rhythmicity of these patterns is probably intrinsic, rather than reflecting climatic or seasonal cycles. " - A. Seilacher

593476682c9fe_Fig.9.thumb.jpg.50098aa58be12a87c4648259541d520e.jpg

excerpt from A. Seilacher. 2001. Concretion morphologies reflecting diagenetic and epigenetic pathways. Sedimentary Geology 143:41-57

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Archived