More Lance Creek

gturner333

In going through some matrix from the Lance Creek Formation, Late Maastrichtian, Wyoming, which shares much fauna with the Hell Creek formation, I have found some more interesting things since my last posting on this area. I believe that two of the teeth are crocodilian, either crocodile or alligator.  The pictures named "unknown 4" look a little like a triceratops tooth, but I don't want to get my hopes up. The pictures labeled "unknown 3," I have no idea - it just looks like a fossil.

The hash marks are 1mm.

crocodillian teeth  side 1.jpg

crocodillian teeth  side 2.jpg

unknown 4 side 1.jpg

unknown 4 side 2.jpg

unknown 4 side 3.jpg

unknown 4 top.jpg

unknown 3 side 1.jpg

unknown 3 side 2.jpg

unknown 3 side 3.jpg

unknown 3 side 4.jpg

unknown 3 topa.jpg

Correct the top two are Croc probably Borealosuchus and the others appear to be Ceratopsian spitter teeth.  Those Ceratopsian teeth cannot be identified to a genus but are commonly called Trike.

Thanks, Troodon, that made my day. Why are they called Trike - after the museum one named Trike?

3 minutes ago, gturner333 said:

Thanks, Troodon, that made my day. Why are they called Trike - after the museum one named Trike?

No idea but it's probably a named coined by sellers, its easy to remember and sellers like names.  Its also possible that for the longest time triceratops was thought to be the only valid genius of large bodied Ceratopsian in these faunas.

"Trike" is simply short for Triceratops.  And just to keep every one honest and on the same page... It is called the Lance Formation.  The local town has the word 'creek' but not the rock unit.  I agree with troodon's IDs.  

Thanks for the correction. The bag of matrix was labeled lance creek formation and i went with that. But, a little research shows that you are quite right. BTW, i just found a 3rd spitter now that i know what to look for. I actually had thrown the first and largest one above in the trash bucket but fished it out and cleaned it up after looking at some Triceratops teeth. That was a close one. 

On 03/06/2017 at 8:16 PM, Troodon said:

No idea but it's probably a named coined by sellers, its easy to remember and sellers like names.  Its also possible that for the longest time triceratops was thought to be the only valid genius of large bodied Ceratopsian in these faunas.

Don't forget about Leptoceratops. Though its teeth are slightly different and the animal is a lot smaller.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Archived