Jump to content
brad hinkelman

ramanessin nj id help

Recommended Posts

brad hinkelman

found some nice stuff today,,,,along with the verts and teeth a old glass insulator and not sure if I have a jaw piece of something or its nothing any help with last 3 pics....thanks

100_5804.JPG

100_5808.JPG

100_5805.JPG

100_5806.JPG

100_5807.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
njfossilhunter

Cool Finds......I like that glass insulator That one piece don't look like a jaw piece but a concretion 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
non-remanié

it looks like it could be very worn jaw bone to me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rockwood

The theropod is small, but in excellent shape for that site :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brad hinkelman
3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

The theropod is small, but in excellent shape for that site :) 

:)  haha I didn't see that till after the pic...my wifes nail decal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeffrey P

That appears like a small worn piece of jaw bone with a couple of tooth sockets- most likely Enchodus. Excellent find, congratulations! That goblin tooth in the center is a real winner, too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brad hinkelman
1 hour ago, Jeffrey P said:

That appears like a small worn piece of jaw bone with a couple of tooth sockets- most likely Enchodus. Excellent find, congratulations! That goblin tooth in the center is a real winner, too!

thanks and yes I love the tooth,it was in a mud bar with the point sticking up,got lucky on spotting that one.

100_5810.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
non-remanié
5 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

That appears like a small worn piece of jaw bone with a couple of tooth sockets- most likely Enchodus. Excellent find, congratulations! That goblin tooth in the center is a real winner, too!

i don't think its enchodus, no tooth sockets  of this sort in the jaw.  i think reptile is more likely.  nice find!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeffrey P
1 minute ago, non-remanié said:

i don't think its enchodus, no tooth sockets  of this sort in the jaw.  i think reptile is more likely.  

Croc or mosasaur? That would be more exciting!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brad hinkelman
2 hours ago, non-remanié said:

i don't think its enchodus, no tooth sockets  of this sort in the jaw.  i think reptile is more likely.  nice find!  

that's awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Jersey Devil

The "jaw" is not a jaw. It looks like a piece of fossilized wood because of the faint lines on the surface. The two "sockets" are holes made by burrowing clams. Also, the two holes have different depths which does not indicate jaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
non-remanié

pics of 3 pieces of phosphatized wood vs 3 pieces very worn bone.  brad, which does your piece resemble more? 

WP_20170605_21_58_36_Pro (3).jpg

WP_20170605_21_58_25_Pro (2).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rockwood

Then someone needs to ask for an end view.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brad hinkelman

man could go either way.. but I guess id have to lean towards the wood  thanks everyone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
non-remanié

brad, it can sometimes  be extremely difficult to tell them apart, even after seeing 100s of similar specimens.  And it can be especially difficult from just pictures.  Bone can also be bored, and the piece is so worn that the non-uniformity of the "sockets" is quite meaningless, so don't let that affect your judgment.    I still stand by bone.  perhaps more pictures, especially of the underside would be more conclusive to everyone else. 

 

 

IMO, the first pic is the most clear evidence of bone texture.  if I just saw the third picture I might think it's a concretion. the second pic isn't that helpful but does give me a small woody vibe.

 

real nice insulator, btw!   it seems every one I find is missing a chunk.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brad hinkelman
8 minutes ago, non-remanié said:

brad, it can sometimes  be extremely difficult to tell them apart, even after seeing 100s of similar specimens.  And it can be especially difficult from just pictures.  Bone can also be bored, and the piece is so worn that the non-uniformity of the "sockets" is quite meaningless, so don't let that affect your judgment.    I still stand by bone.  perhaps more pictures, especially of the underside would be more conclusive to everyone else. 

 

 

IMO, the first pic is the most clear evidence of bone texture.  if I just saw the third picture I might think it's a concretion. the second pic isn't that helpful but does give me a small woody vibe.

 

real nice insulator, btw!   it seems every one I find is missing a chunk.

 

hey thanks ill get some more pics when I can and post...and again thank u for your time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brad hinkelman

before my batteries on my camera died heres a couple more......there also seems to be some form of some lines inside the one hole that may indicate something to someone

100_5811.JPG

100_5812.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rockwood

That's a tuffy all right. Every direction you go there is a reason to turn around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
non-remanié

one more view of the side without the "sockets"?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brad hinkelman

100_5813.JPG

100_5814.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
njfossilhunter

I think wood w/borings....IMHO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ynot

I agree with the wood group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brad hinkelman

I'm no expert but holding in my hand looking at it and the above wood pics I kinda think so as well....................again thank u all :)    I know these small wore out pics can be hard to id and I'm at least happy its not a rock lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mike from North Queensland

I will go with the wood group but what I find is interesting is the detail left in part of the bore hole.

That would be a fun challenge to find the perpetrator.

 

Mike D'Arcy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brad hinkelman
16 minutes ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

I will go with the wood group but what I find is interesting is the detail left in part of the bore hole.

That would be a fun challenge to find the perpetrator.

 

Mike D'Arcy

yes not sure what that is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×