ramanessin nj id help

brad hinkelman

found some nice stuff today,,,,along with the verts and teeth a old glass insulator and not sure if I have a jaw piece of something or its nothing any help with last 3 pics....thanks

100_5804.JPG

100_5808.JPG

100_5805.JPG

100_5806.JPG

100_5807.JPG

Cool Finds......I like that glass insulator That one piece don't look like a jaw piece but a concretion 

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

it looks like it could be very worn jaw bone to me.  

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

The theropod is small, but in excellent shape for that site :) 

:)  haha I didn't see that till after the pic...my wifes nail decal

That appears like a small worn piece of jaw bone with a couple of tooth sockets- most likely Enchodus. Excellent find, congratulations! That goblin tooth in the center is a real winner, too!

1 hour ago, Jeffrey P said:

That appears like a small worn piece of jaw bone with a couple of tooth sockets- most likely Enchodus. Excellent find, congratulations! That goblin tooth in the center is a real winner, too!

thanks and yes I love the tooth,it was in a mud bar with the point sticking up,got lucky on spotting that one.

100_5810.JPG

5 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

i don't think its enchodus, no tooth sockets  of this sort in the jaw.  i think reptile is more likely.  nice find!  

1 minute ago, non-remanié said:

i don't think its enchodus, no tooth sockets  of this sort in the jaw.  i think reptile is more likely.  

Croc or mosasaur? That would be more exciting!

2 hours ago, non-remanié said:

i don't think its enchodus, no tooth sockets  of this sort in the jaw.  i think reptile is more likely.  nice find!  

that's awesome!

The "jaw" is not a jaw. It looks like a piece of fossilized wood because of the faint lines on the surface. The two "sockets" are holes made by burrowing clams. Also, the two holes have different depths which does not indicate jaw.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

pics of 3 pieces of phosphatized wood vs 3 pieces very worn bone.  brad, which does your piece resemble more? 

WP_20170605_21_58_36_Pro (3).jpg

WP_20170605_21_58_25_Pro (2).jpg

man could go either way.. but I guess id have to lean towards the wood  thanks everyone

brad, it can sometimes  be extremely difficult to tell them apart, even after seeing 100s of similar specimens.  And it can be especially difficult from just pictures.  Bone can also be bored, and the piece is so worn that the non-uniformity of the "sockets" is quite meaningless, so don't let that affect your judgment.    I still stand by bone.  perhaps more pictures, especially of the underside would be more conclusive to everyone else. 

IMO, the first pic is the most clear evidence of bone texture.  if I just saw the third picture I might think it's a concretion. the second pic isn't that helpful but does give me a small woody vibe.

real nice insulator, btw!   it seems every one I find is missing a chunk.

8 minutes ago, non-remanié said:

brad, it can sometimes  be extremely difficult to tell them apart, even after seeing 100s of similar specimens.  And it can be especially difficult from just pictures.  Bone can also be bored, and the piece is so worn that the non-uniformity of the "sockets" is quite meaningless, so don't let that affect your judgment.    I still stand by bone.  perhaps more pictures, especially of the underside would be more conclusive to everyone else. 

IMO, the first pic is the most clear evidence of bone texture.  if I just saw the third picture I might think it's a concretion. the second pic isn't that helpful but does give me a small woody vibe.

real nice insulator, btw!   it seems every one I find is missing a chunk.

hey thanks ill get some more pics when I can and post...and again thank u for your time

before my batteries on my camera died heres a couple more......there also seems to be some form of some lines inside the one hole that may indicate something to someone

100_5811.JPG

100_5812.JPG

That's a tuffy all right. Every direction you go there is a reason to turn around.

one more view of the side without the "sockets"?  

I think wood w/borings....IMHO

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

I'm no expert but holding in my hand looking at it and the above wood pics I kinda think so as well....................again thank u all :)    I know these small wore out pics can be hard to id and I'm at least happy its not a rock lol

I will go with the wood group but what I find is interesting is the detail left in part of the bore hole.

That would be a fun challenge to find the perpetrator.

Mike D'Arcy

16 minutes ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

I will go with the wood group but what I find is interesting is the detail left in part of the bore hole.

That would be a fun challenge to find the perpetrator.

Mike D'Arcy

yes not sure what that is

Archived