Lawrenceburg, IN Ordovician Hash Plates

Nimravis

On my way home from vacation, I wanted to swing by St. Leon to look for some small/ thin Ordovician hash plates, but due to an accident in the area, I decided to swing by the road cut in Lawrenceburg to get some. It was a very hot  / sunny day, so I decided to not to spend a ton of time out there. Here are a couple pics of the area and a couple hash plates I collected and a part of a cephalopod.

IMG_3644.thumb.PNG.0855fb8e50704a6f42b8a95cb17e57d6.PNG

IMG_3642.thumb.JPG.32b0af27ef9bbe9eab426b0b57ea5d73.JPG

37 minutes ago, ynot said:

Nice rest stop.

Neat finds too.

Thanks Tony- there is a ton of different things to collect at that site as well as St. Leon.

That's not the St Leon cut? Looks a lot like it, and equally packed with fossils too, apparently. Same strata?

10 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

That's not the St Leon cut? Looks a lot like it, and equally packed with fossils too, apparently. Same strata?

Correct, it is about 15 miles South if the St. Leon roadcut. I believe that it is a newer road cut, as there are not as many loose fossils as you can find at St. Leon. 

@Nimravis, I enjoyed your report! My daughter, sister, and I are headed up that way next weekend for several days of collecting and the St. Leon road cut is one of our planned stops if we make it through Kentucky and Ohio with time remaining. (We've planned a geode collecting day and that has our schedule a bit uncertain.) Nevertheless, thank you for whetting the appetite!   :)

8 hours ago, jewelonly said:

@Nimravis, I enjoyed your report! My daughter, sister, and I are headed up that way next weekend for several days of collecting and the St. Leon road cut is one of our planned stops if we make it through Kentucky and Ohio with time remaining. (We've planned a geode collecting day and that has our schedule a bit uncertain.) Nevertheless, thank you for whetting the appetite!   :)

You will really like St. Leon and it is easier to park- I stopped there this morning and will try to put together a quick report today or tomorrow.

Archived