Mahantango, Pennsylvania Coral? Sponge?

married2rick

Found today by a friend in PA.  Someone suggested it might be a sponge but I can't find any images that resemble it. Thanks, and as always, much appreciated.  

18815152_132510630654526_5919788532468742544_o.jpg

Strange piece indeed. I have a guess but it is nowhere near 100%, could it be multiple crinoids, you can see columnals at the bottom of the holes, the holes being the hollow spaces left by the crinoids stem. I have seen a few like this, let me see if I can find a picture for you...

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Your welcome, any time. Now I couldn't find the exact example I was thinking of, but if I do I will let you know. For the time being, I believe something like this is happening, either yours is a different, smoother species or, more likely, it has eroded smooth. It is also more 3D and has more crinoids than yours. Hope it helps.

IMG_1556.JPG

IMG_1557.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Do you have any insight on the nature of that granular appearance on the contorted surfaces? Is that part of the suspected sponge, or an epifaun, or something else? If it weren't for those, my best guess would have been ichnofossil (eg. burrows).

It seems to have pores when you blow it up so sponge is a good possibility. Could also be a bryozoan - closeups would be good.

Screen Shot 2017-06-04 at 08.48.54.png

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

I see what appears to be brachiopod steinkerns in it though. Even in your example above there appear to be faint ridges. Could they be empty molds that were in a granular carbonate matrix ?

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I see what appears to be brachiopod steinkerns in it though. Even in your example above there appear to be faint ridges. Could they be empty molds that were in a granular carbonate matrix ?

You're definitely right about the steinkerns. Also, where the rock's broken there doesn't seem to be any internal structure.

I think the whole thing has been decalcified and we're looking at an external mould, the negative of a ramifying organism with protrusions.

It might have been encrusting the brachiopods or they may just be part of a hash. More pics would be useful.

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

Can you also get close up pictures of the surface as well as the bottom of the holes?

Happy hunting,

Mason

On 6/4/2017 at 1:01 AM, Wrangellian said:

that granular appearance on the contorted surfaces

It looks to me a lot like the Fistulipora bryozoans I find in the Pennsylvanian of the Kansas City area.

Russ

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, KCMOfossil said:

It looks to me a lot like the Fistulipora bryozoans I find in the Pennsylvanian of the Kansas City area.

Russ

Good call I think, that would fit nicely.

Tarquin