New Jersey Cretaceous tooth ID

frankh8147

Greetings!

I found what I believe to be a tooth in a Cretaceous tributary of Big Brook in Monmouth County NJ and need help with identifification. It is slightly concave at the root and has a hollow section at the tip and one cutting edge, and has an oval cross section. This spot has  yielded a good amount of both terrestrial and marine Cretaceous specimens. It doesn’t seem to match the usual suspects from this area so I would appreciate any help. Thanks! 

-Frank

pt best.png

Additional pictures.

pt2.jpg

pt6.jpg

I think it's enchodus, here's a similar one I found online.

IMG_1560.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

I don't think this is Enchodus, the curve to this tooth is somewhat different.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Than maybe xiphactinus?

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

We need good clear pictures of the tooth with the tooth being the focal point of the picture. Also pictures of all sides and the root end so we can see the shape of the root. From the pictures provided I can not say it is even a tooth for sure.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

2 hours ago, sixgill pete said:

We need good clear pictures of the tooth with the tooth being the focal point of the picture. Also pictures of all sides and the root end so we can see the shape of the root. From the pictures provided I can not say it is even a tooth for sure.

Thanks, Ill try to work on this tonight - I'm still not the best with taking pictures. Enchodus and xiphactinus are always contenders for unknown teeth but I compared it with roughly 100 other enchodus teeth and several xiphactinus I have found from that area and couldn't find any remotely similar. Ill see if I canfind a way to get clearer pictures.

Frank- what did you mean when you said it was hollow at the tip? If this is hollow it could be part of a crab claw.

Maybe hollow wasn't the best word - it is a slight indent  the tip (you can kind of see it in some of the pictures).

Actually Al Dente, it kind of resembles the indent on your needle- like tooth you posted for ID a few years ago..did you ever get an ID on that?

21 minutes ago, frankh8147 said:

Maybe hollow wasn't the best word - it is a slight indent  the tip (you can kind of see it in some of the pictures).

Actually Al Dente, it kind of resembles the indent on your needle- like tooth you posted for ID a few years ago..did you ever get an ID on that?

I never did but when you posted your fossil it reminded me of mine. I know another collector in NC that has found a few. My best guess is that they are fish teeth.

It almost looks like the very tip of a dorsal fin spine judging by the pictures. If it has small bumps on it it could be hybodont.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

1 hour ago, josephstrizhak said:

It almost looks like the very tip of a dorsal fin spine judging by the pictures. If it has small bumps on it it could be hybodont.

Hmmm.. No bumps on it but fish or shark spine is an interesting thought. I'll try to get some clearer pictures tonight

Here are the best pictures I could get of it; couldn't get a good one of the cross section but it is a thin oval.

bb12.jpg

bb13.jpg

I'm just thinking that the Hoploparia Lobster hand one very long pincher claw ..It might be a H. Gabbi or another species that might be in the cretaceous coastal plains 

15726774142_e229751a36_b.jpg

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Certainly a possibility Tony. Only thing that gets me is the enamal which looks more 'toothy' than crustacean

The surface texture of your specimen with your latest pictures does not give me a toothy look, not smooth enough.  The shape is also odd for a fish tooth, the lack cutting edges does not help.   Don't have answers.

I would suspect the fish or shark spine or is the way to look based on the last photos.

The diagonal lines that are seen on one side are they scratch marks or flaw lines ?

Mike D'Arcy

7 minutes ago, Mike from North Queensland said:

I would suspect the fish or shark spine or is the way to look based on the last photos.

The diagonal lines that are seen on one side are they scratch marks or flaw lines ?

Mike D'Arcy

Mike,

Those are scratch marks.

1 hour ago, JohnBrewer said:

Looks pterosaur ish to me. Is the enamel very thin? Got a shot from the root end? @Troodon

Won't rule it out and a possibility but still don't see a toothy surface.  More like what others has said spine or claw.

Here is my best effort to get the 'root'; the black part has more shine than is shown in the picture. -Frank

root 1.jpg

And another picture under different lighting.

last.jpg

crabs sometimes have different claws. A crusher and a picker. I think this might be a picker claw bit and judging from the scale (a US dime) it may be from a callionassid or mud shrimp claw. Didn't research if callionassids have heteromorphic claws though.

Archived