Why do hemipristis teeth keep their serrations?

mattbsharks

Hi Everyone, 

I have been collecting fossil teeth for a couple of months and I have noticed that all of the hemipristis teeth I have collected have complete and sharp serrations on them. However, the teeth of other species that I collect, such as megalodons, do not tend to have complete and sharp serrations. Does anyone know why hemi teeth tend to keep all of their serrations despite the millions of years of wear and tear?

The only thing that comes to mind is the relative size of the serrations. Hemipristis (snaggeltooth) have very large serrations while most other shark have fine serrations.

• I found this Informative 2

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Just speculations but for one snaggletooth serrations are much larger therefore takes more tumbling & stumbling to wear them down/ off. Also because megalodons were warmblooded/ constantly feeding compared to snaggles, maybe they were quicker to wear them down/ replace them from feeding much more (seems most break after fossilizing but maybe they were/are less durable; not that I haven't found very busted up hemi's but seem less common than meg frags) 

It can be frustrating I've come close several times to finding a pristine 1- 2 inch or so meg but have yet to find my first lol. Would be interesting to see if Hemi teeth are more durable, not that I would test any..

• I found this Informative 1

From the teeth I have collected, I have noticed that hemi teeth break in just the root of the teeth, while my meg teeth break in the enamel and the root. I bet that the enamel of hemi teeth is stronger.

I think that you have to take into consideration that megs were big animals who ate big animals. Think about a meg, dining on a whale. That meg bites through flesh and bone. Big bones! Add to that the pounds per square inch biting pressure. This had to do a number on their teeth. I would guess this to be a good reason why we tend to find more megs with feeding damage than hemis.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

28 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

I think that you have to take into consideration that megs were big animals who ate big animals. Think about a meg, dining on a whale. That meg bites through flesh and bone. Big bones! Add to that the pounds per square inch biting pressure. This had to do a number on their teeth. I would guess this to be a good reason why we tend to find more megs with feeding damage than hemis.

This is true, but snaggletooth feed on turtles. That has to be tough on the teeth too.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I'm with Dave, bigger sharks and bigger prey likely are the cause of

so many broken larger teeth. 

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I have found literally thousands of hemis in the Lee Creek spoil piles. I will agree that a very small percentage of them had serrations worn at all. But, as far a broken teeth, I have seen and found lots of broken ones. And many of the largest hemis have terrible enamel peel.

Never really thought about why.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

I think a little may have to do with locations and how recent it washed/fell from the formation also. In SC the the gravel beds tend to wear the larger teeth down more than the smaller teeth. At Calvert I've found pristine hemis near the formation and rough ones tumbling in the surf. I have yet to find a complete meg but from vicariously through others it's seems the same story. 

Another very important issue is the amount of energy required to actually move a hemipristis v. a Carcharocles tooth. Hemipristis teeth are generally quite small and light and therefore have less drastically lower momentum than a Carcharocles tooth while being transported. Higher momentum = greater chance of damage upon impacts with other objects.

That being said, i do not believe anyone has tried size-based abrasion/damage studies with shark teeth, though it has almost certainly been attempted for land mammals.

For further reading, here's a thought provoking actualistic taphonomy paper on tooth damage in Squalicorax: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/272645880_Squalicorax_Chips_a_Tooth_A_Consequence_of_Feeding-Related_Behavior_from_the_Lowermost_Navesink_Formation_Late_Cretaceous_Campanian-Maastrichtian_of_Monmouth_County_New_Jersey_USA/figures?lo=1