shark tooth

mattbsharks

I was wondering if anyone can ID this tooth? It is from South Carolina. It looks like a meg but it has a very weird shape and deep drop in the middle of the root.

?ui=2&ik=f5f0aafdda&view=fimg&th=15c7a1ce6d1b88bb&attid=0.1&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ8fP9de4Kaz4N686AnuceosPQON0i5GgeMuJLapkcfMiX5ab0CjNw_99Z56dWDqD9PA59lVxU777odOaKMZbJMJ0rbad-fnqUILQGLlUg1UTuhjCHSo6eNch5E&sz=w180-h120-df-p-nu&ats=1496713184241&rm=15c7a1ce6d1b88bb&zw

?ui=2&ik=f5f0aafdda&view=fimg&th=15c7a1ce6d1b88bb&attid=0.2&disp=thd&attbid=ANGjdJ8_y8PI8mgsPDWnjY_nO4CNKExdnqSIJTGnyC2atn0QqSDutQZ4SjMRgkaPEU-A6FWmBSkMUOIAI9Gn5jR3VJZCZAQdZ6iUwgyrka7pp4mVtNGEeKyfqbFJUqc&sz=w180-h120-df-p-nu&ats=1496713184241&rm=15c7a1ce6d1b88bb&zw
cleardot.gif

7 hours ago, mattbsharks said:

I was wondering if anyone can ID this tooth? It is from South Carolina. It looks like a meg but it has a very weird shape and deep drop in the middle of the root.

No pictures again. Also- is this a duplicate post?

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Not a duplicate, I had two different teeth I wanted to ID, sorry. I'm new to the forum and I tried to drag the pictures straight into the body of my text instead of uploading them. Here it is:

A31B0D8C-97E8-4111-9A08-D6A186FB112D (2).JPG

25A7AF31-011B-4C7D-9CE2-662130E5AB4D.JPG

It always helps if You give a location or formation so We can determine an age. South Carolina covers a lot of area.

It also helps to put a scale in the picture.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Nice tooth. It is from a newborn megalodon. That particular shape is called a Hubbel tooth by collectors.

8 hours ago, Al Dente said:

Nice tooth. It is from a newborn megalodon. That particular shape is called a Hubbel tooth by collectors.

Al Dente . . . I thought that a "Hubbell tooth" had excurvate blade edges. 

Juvenile Carcharocles megalodon teeth from the Bone Valley phosphate of Florida. These heart-shaped teeth, often with root and cusp abnormalities, are sometimes referred to as "Hubbell teeth" after Gordon Hubbell.
My personal theory is that all Hubbell teeth, by definition, are deformed, probably as a result of nutritional deficiency as young sharks. The large majority of juvenile megalodon teeth are normal, miniatures more or less of the adult teeth.
There is some lag time involved between the deformation as a germ tooth and its development and deployment as a useful (though deformed) tooth. A nutritional deficiency could occur shortly after birth, resulting in Hubbell teeth weeks or months later.
The disorder that affects a small proportion of these juvenile sharks may arise from an ultimately fatal genetic problem (they don't eat enough because there is a birth defect). Or, it may be something that these young sharks survive when they find sufficient prey items (they stop producing deformed teeth when nutrition is adequate). For one reason or the other, we don't find large Hubbell teeth.
For a discussion of Hubbell teeth, see MEGALODON, HUNTING THE HUNTER by Mark Renz (2002).

hubbellnormal.jpg

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

1 hour ago, Harry Pristis said:

Al Dente . . . I thought that a "Hubbell tooth" had excurvate blade edges. 

I don't think excurvate blades are the defining characteristic. Here are two examples from a paper that Hubbell coauthored, "Ancient Nursery area for the extinct giant shark megalodon from the Miocene of Panama".

hubbell1.JPG

hubbellT2.JPG

hubbellT3.JPG

Archived