Well my wonderful and well intentioned girlfriend wanted to purchase me a fossil and just sent me a link to a eBay listing. The seller is located in the states but specifies the "fossil" is from China. It seems fake to me but I would much appreciate some feedback as to not make her feel bad by fighting for a return. Thanks!

IMG_0978.PNG

IMG_0979.PNG

IMG_0981.PNG

IMG_0984.PNG

You obviously have a very nice, caring girlfriend; who wished to give you a unique present.

Since you asked, I will simply say; I would not purchase the "fossil' pictured.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Oops!

Hope she didn't pay too much for it. At least then you will have a conversation piece and later can buy a real fossil of some kind.

That's what I figured, I guess it was $80. I feel like I should have acted as if it's real but for me the thought was enough and don't want to support this type of transaction. Thanks guys

Welcome to the forum! This turtle fossil is usually marketed as being called a "Manchurochelys liaoxiensis" or a "Ordosemys liaoxiensis". Rarely have I seen them being sold with at least something real in the shell, since 99.9% are usually fully carved like the one you showed us. It does not matter which country the seller is when the complete fossil comes with a low price, because in the overwhelming majority of cases this means a trap. The more beautiful and complete the fossil is, and still at a good price, the greater the risk of a red flag.

Below I am sending the photo of a genuine fossil tortoise of the specie Ordosemys liaoxiensis, this is belongs to my collection, and thus, you can compare how it should look like a turtle of this species that is real:

09.PNG

• I found this Informative 3

Is It real, or it's not real, that's the question!

03.PNG

Thanks for the very informative reply, I figured it was too good to be true and fake. It's unfortunate because she is just getting excited about fossils too. Lessons learned unfortunately 

Go for the girl, but not for this "fossil".

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Echoing the others, your girlfriend is great. The fossil itself is fake.

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

Yes it looks like it's a fake.

But, for that price. It might still be a nice display piece.

• I found this Informative 1

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Reminds me of the time that my now ex-wife came home all aglow and presented me with a spectacular gold nugget ring with a couple of decent-sized diamonds that she'd purchased from a down-on-his luck Zales jewelry salesman who just happened to have it in his sample case.  Of course, it only took a day or so to start turning my finger green.  Oh well...it was the THOUGHT that counted and she didn't drop TOO much money on it!  (No...that's NOT why she's my ex-wife!)

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Ammonites and Green River fossil fish are a good place to look for spectacular fossils are relatively low prices.  (some green river fish do have paint on them however).

• I found this Informative 1