Well I managed to lure the wife into another beach excursion. The only stipulation was that I was in charge of cooking barbecue dinner. We packed up the car and drove 90 minutes to our destination with a four month old. :blink: My daughter was good for the most part but she had her moments. Here's the trip in a nutshell.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a5f.jpg

Mrs Fossil-Hound with baby and I at the top of the cliffs. The drive was certainly worth it.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a83.jpg

The beach office had a custom Miocene Shark Tooth display with a lot of large teeth.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a77.jpg

A box of free shark teeth for travelers! :meg::drool: 

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a7e.jpg

A coveted fern plate from the Pennsylvanian of St. Clair PA.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a62.jpg

Massive prehistoric whale vertebrae. The office manager said he found this on the shoreline after a storm.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a6f.jpg

Found some beautiful Chesapecten nefrens from the Choptank and St Mary formations.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a89.jpg

Went to my secret spot and starting seeing Ecphora's poking out of the mud. This one looks complete but was broken on the inside.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a85.jpg

This large Ecphora was another heart breaker. :megalodon_broken01:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a8c.jpg

Found a marble sized Ecphora and began the long trek back towards the cabins when out of the corner of my eye I spotted a few large ribs sticking out of the mud. I worked carefully around the edges and took my time.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a82.jpg

The result was an Ecphora gardnerae the state fossil of Maryland and one of my favorite fossils. :wub:

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a7f.jpg

The back side view. This specimen is in dire need of cleaning.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a71.jpg

That night I began to clean the Ecphora. After a light cleaning, super glue was applied to all of the cracks. Referring to a complete specimen on the right I continued to carefully remove sand and mud from the gastropod. This morning more glue was applied along with some more light cleaning.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a53.jpg

Still a lot of cleaning to do. Notice the crack on the left side. I applied a lot of super glue to this snail. Made leaps and strides in cleaning it tonight.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1a67.jpg

Here it is after the initial phase of cleaning. More cleaning and possibly another coat of superglue to some small cracks will be underway tomorrow.

• I found this Informative 2

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

That is a very distinctive-looking snail.

Sounds like the work involved in gluing/stabilizing them is comparable to what I have to go through with my local splintery Cretaceous shale.. Meanwhile in other places people can just bend down and pick up ready-to-display fossils...

Nice report, Jason. :) 

Thanks for bringing us along. 

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice report and finds! Great way to spend time with family!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I enjoyed reading your report. Thanks for sharing your trip with us. Nothing better than a day a the beach fossil hunting with family. When my kids were the age of your daughter we could never make it more than an hour without a driving break. It was worth it when we got to the beach though. That snail you're working on looks good!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Thanks guys! @SailingAlongToo and @drobare you beach goers will appreciate my prep work on this little terror of the seas. There is a little bit of sand where the super glue was placed. I can't do much about that without removing the super glue with nail polish and I don't want to compromise the shell. See below.

IMG_0367.JPG

IMG_0368.JPG

IMG_0370.JPG

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda