Wrangellian

22 hours ago, ynot said:

Good luck with the puzzle.:thumbsu:

You may find it a little easier if You try it without the wine.:P

Maybe, or it might be easier to tolerate the tedium and frustration with wine!

Thanks all

1 hour ago, Fossil-Hound said:

@Wrangellian Eric I would put a ton of glue on that nice ammonite and hand it over to either @RJB or @Ludwigia but then again they have their own puzzles to solve at the moment. :ank:

The fractured ammonite I showed on June 14?

I've already brought home the fragments and tried to reassemble them, but it's pretty ugly, esp without the underlying/supporting matrix but that would have been even more work, probably not worth it. Most ammonites at this site are only 1/2 ammos anyway (the back side of what you see in that pic is completely missing). Apparently the top half dissolved in the water as the bottom half lay protected in the sediment.

Thanks all for the comments!

• I found this Informative 1

47 minutes ago, Wrangellian said:

it might be easier to tolerate the tedium and frustration with wine!

Maybe, but it probably wouldn't look right when done. More of a Medusa instead of crinoid type of thing.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

8 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Maybe, or it might be easier to tolerate the tedium and frustration with wine!

Thanks all

The fractured ammonite I showed on June 14?

I've already brought home the fragments and tried to reassemble them, but it's pretty ugly, esp without the underlying/supporting matrix but that would have been even more work, probably not worth it. Most ammonites at this site are only 1/2 ammos anyway (the back side of what you see in that pic is completely missing). Apparently the top half dissolved in the water as the bottom half lay protected in the sediment.

Thanks all for the comments!

I agree completely with Eric. He's the best judge on these fragile things.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

22 hours ago, ynot said:

Maybe, but it probably wouldn't look right when done. More of a Medusa instead of crinoid type of thing.

I'm a spasmodic klutz at the best of times so maybe it wouldn't make much difference (or it might calm the nerves? I wish)  Most of my glue jobs could be called Medusa based on how ugly they are...

It's too bad I didn't find that ammonite before it got to be a basketcase, it appears to be an Epigoniceras/Tetragonites (if it's not a Damesites?) and I have only found one or two others from the site in the last 9 years.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow I saw this post just now. I share your nightmares with dealing with shale. That's why I dont trust collecting and sending shale to anyone. Nice Uintacrinus by the way!

Thanks, I know.. but I have precious little choice in rock types around here, and anyway there are so many cool things that can be found in it, as you can see.

Shale can be handled and transported once stabilized, but it's a lot of work, which I guess is why I don't encounter other fossil hunters up there. I've pretty much got the place to myself.

Reassembly is progressing slowly...

• 1 year later...