What is this little guy?

Jess Z

Hi All!

I'm new here, I found this blog while researching a little find of mine. I posted the pictures below. I found this cute little guy while beach glass picking at walnut beach on Lake Erie. As soon as I saw it I was pretty sure it was a fossil but I have no idea what. Thats why I'm here! I want to know what it is that I found. I appreciate any help from you guys! Thanks!!!

IMG_0220.JPG

Photo on 6-4-17 at 12.57 PM.jpg

Photo on 6-4-17 at 12.58 PM.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :)

To me, this looks like a water worn internal cast of a Rugose, or "Horn Coral."

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Looks like some of the sponges I pull from the Waldron shale, but as Tim pointed out it does look like a horn coral worn by water

...I'm back.

I agree it's a worn down rugose coral. The second photo seems to show some beekite rings on the right so it's probably silicified. 

Tarquin

looks like a stub of worn horn coral to me also

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

could possibly be a worn Silurian sponge also

sponges.JPG

D-Astylospongia sp..jpg

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

or possibly a worn Silurian button coral Hadrophyllum sp.?

Hadrophyllum.jpg

Archived