Greenops prep - round one

Kane

A first attempt at prepping a Greenops widderensis. Not having the fancy tools, I used a Dremel (VERY carefully) to remove some of the surrounding matrix, and then a sewing needle to suss out some of the more delicate parts. The Widder shale is notoriously flaky, making these Greenops even more treacherously heartbreaking to work with than their cousins at Penn Dixie. There's a bit more to be done for touch-up with the needle, of course, but I'm fairly proud of the fact that I didn't butcher this one!

The left side of the cephalon looks like it is covered or missing, but it is actually slightly tucked in.

It is complete (a bit of a rarity in the Widder), and probably could use a quick, light abrasion to get out some of the more stubborn matrix-gunk in the cracks and on the glabella. This one has a real chance of coming out even more spectacular. If my continued needlework is a success with my clumsy gorilla paws, the last step is stabilize it. 

IMG_3199.JPG

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Very good job with the tools available. If you want it finished off your more than welcome to bring it with you this weekend.... This specimen is right up there with the best that come out of there.

Great Job, Kane! :wub: 

A lot Better than I would have thought could be done, with those tools. :) 

Well Done, Sir!

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Awesome trilobite!!!

"Without fossils, no one would have ever dreamed that there were successive epochs in the formation of the earth" - Georges Cuvier

Beautiful specimen! :wub:

I wonder if you could use an inexpensive "air eraser" to give it a final treatment by sandblasting with baking soda.

Don C

@Kane wow that is one nice trilobite! :trilo: Congratulations and good work on the preparation.

Do or do not. There is no try. - Yoda

Good job Sir!

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Thanks, everyone! It was as good as could be done with the tools at hand. And my limited skills (though I was once a fairly skilled illustrator, but those skills aren't as transferable as I thought).

Malcolm: I will bring it along, but there are a few other interesting pieces that might need your expertise. I'll try to keep it at the very most interesting. Your talents are far above run-of-the-mill stuff. 

Don: We just spent the weekend purging the basement with a few trips to the dump. We now have a larger space for our exercises, but also a newly appointed desk for prep. I lack even a space to put in a suspended heavy bag for our boxing. Before I go the tools route, I have to inspect both the space for vacuum and finances. Living in a condo has its pluses and minuses, but it is a connected row house. Will have to look more into ventilation issues. I assume even a simple air eraser would require a compressor. It's a route I will have to consider alongside my own plans in the next few years.

59 minutes ago, Kane said:

Thanks, everyone! It was as good as could be done with the tools at hand. And my limited skills (though I was once a fairly skilled illustrator, but those skills aren't as transferable as I thought).

Malcolm: I will bring it along, but there are a few other interesting pieces that might need your expertise. I'll try to keep it at the very least interesting. Your talents are far above run-of-the-mill stuff. 

Don: We just spent the weekend purging the basement with a few trips to the dump. We now have a larger space for our exercises, but also a newly appointed desk for prep. I lack even a space to put in a suspended heavy bag for our boxing. Before I go the tools route, I have to inspect both the space for vacuum and finances. Living in a condo has its pluses and minuses, but it is a connected row house. Will have to look more into ventilation issues. I assume even a simple air eraser would require a compressor. It's a route I will have to consider alongside my own plans in the next few years.

I believe what you meant was:

"at the most interesting level."

"least interesting" doesn't sound like fun. :P

Thanks, Jason. I edited my initial post to reflect my intention. It is not as though I would want to press MT to prep out a lot of horn coral! Thanks for the catch on this one ;) 

Let's start off by saying that Kane did a remarkable job on this greenops with minimal tools. Anyway I met up with him and Debbie this past weekend and he entrusted me with his little gem. Was working in the garden all day and it was way too hot so went down and spent an hour in the cool of the basement prep lab. Here is Kane's little baby after an additional hour of prep on a Comco abrasion unit  at 7 PSI with previously used dolomite that goes through a 320 mesh screen. Used a .015 nozzle which is the second smallest I own. Prepped under a Nikon scope at about 14x.  

I might go back and clean out a few crevices with a .010 nozzle .

There is no restoration or repairs or consolidation on this bug. Slight damage to one of the pleura on the left side. This is about as good as they get from Arkona. Definitely wish it was in my collection

593f2e6e578de_KaneGreenops7.thumb.jpg.b8898f72e6f1b97dce47f7681af23db9.jpg

593f2eb27894a_KaneGreenops1.thumb.jpg.bdf787a1d55fc769cd4b08d8979fdd4c.jpg

A few more pics

A few more pictures

593f2f119f06f_KaneGreenops2.thumb.jpg.654a46b4d57186dc7440a170adf7c3eb.jpg

593f2f13969d0_KaneGreenops3.thumb.jpg.53e76e27d9287225ff918df70ca94560.jpg

593f2f1856a40_KaneGreenops4.thumb.jpg.b5040085b1972d68bfddc5bb58bfa68b.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

This is incredible work! Just showed this to Deb and she is also over the moon. :dinothumb::wub:

I did not over abrade as I like the look of the pits on these greenops. If you abrade too long or at too high a PSI you loose the detail of those pits completely. 

• I found this Informative 2

I defintely like the pits...Real texture. This is museum quality, for sure! What did you use to give that bug that nice colour and sheen?

The last picture is just moisture from breathing on it to give it a sheen for the picture. There were no consolidants of any type used in the final prep. Under the scope this bug showed no area that would benefit from gluing. I did fix up your dremel tool marks though on the matrix. It looks much better with a relatively smooth matrix surrounding the bug.

I certainly am in awe of your work on this one. I did notice you smoothed out all the Dremel scuffs and scratches, as you said. Deb is even thinking of getting a special case for this one, it is so darn good! I haven't seen such a fantastically prepared Greenops since maybe in Crinus' collection. But if I find a complete and intact Greenops next week with no damage, I will send it your way for you to keep since this one you've done will be nigh impossible to beat. This is just... wow. 

Masterful work @Malcolmt This is one of the nicest trilobites I have seen that has come out of Arkona.

Excellent prep, Malcolm! 

Well done, indeed!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me