Morrison Formation Tooth

The Speeding Carno

Hello,

I was was searching for ceratosaurus teeth for sale when I stumbled upon this tooth. There was no specific ID and I was wondering if TFF could help me ID it properly before I make a move. I was rather intrigued by it.

Length: 3mm

Time: Late Jurassic

Bone Cabin Quarry

Albany County, WY, USA

IMG_0174.thumb.JPG.55fd501138b300b7845296e360d0c850.JPG

2 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Nice little tooth is 3mm correct?

Yes :)

Interesting tooth.   Are their any additional pictures just curious what the other side looks like and if there are serrations on the mesial edge.  Anyway I would call it Theropod indet. on something this small with all the theropods choices in the Morisson.  Its unclear to me if this is an unformed germ tooth or infant.  It would be a nice purchase just a cool tooth to display. 

58 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Interesting tooth.   Are their any additional pictures just curious what the other side looks like and if there are serrations on the mesial edge.  Anyway I would call it Theropod indet. on something this small with all the theropods choices in the Morisson.  Its unclear to me if this is an unformed germ tooth or infant.  It would be a nice purchase just a cool tooth to display. 

From the photo, that is a really nice looking Theropod tooth. Other views/angles would be cool just to satisfy my personal curiosity.

@Troodon could it be a tooth from one of the smaller raptor species? We find those from time to time in late Cretaceous exposures in SE NC. On the East Coast it's take what you can find since we don't have the diversity like out west. Just curious.

Don't know much about history

Don't know much biology

Don't know much about science books.........

Sam Cooke - (What A) Wonderful World

2 hours ago, SailingAlongToo said:

From the photo, that is a really nice looking Theropod tooth. Other views/angles would be cool just to satisfy my personal curiosity.

@Troodon could it be a tooth from one of the smaller raptor species? We find those from time to time in late Cretaceous exposures in SE NC. On the East Coast it's take what you can find since we don't have the diversity like out west. Just curious.

The tooth is 3mm hard to say much from that size.  Not an expert on raptors but I always equate them to dromaeosaurid type dinos that really came into their own in the cretaceous.  The Morisson had a bunch of different Coelurosaurs running around could easily be one of them.

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

@Troodon 

You mention in your topic about Cerato teeth(http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/57022-ceratosaurus-teeth-can-you-identify/) that the presence of  lingual grooves such as these visible in your tooth are diagnostic for Ceratosaurus teeth.Here is example sold online that too have them - Ceratosaur Tooth - Dinosaur Tooth

I think the tooth that Carno ask for shows such a grooves in some parts - IMG_0174.thumb.JPG.55fd501138b300b7845296e360d0c850.JPG.6a4b350ce2d235fc5e04204b3e0c8e6f.JPG

I'm not sure I would characterize the online tooth as having grooves looks more like a single recess.  I would not call that tooth Ceratosaurus based on that, all examples I've seen like those in the photos provided have multiple deep grooves, again my opinion.  Actually looks more like an Abelisaurid with that straight distal side.  Similarly the small tooth looks more like preservation issues than grooves.

Screenshot_20170608-123743.jpg.c83d0656c3aafddfab583c966acc8e64.jpg

Screenshot_20170608-122855.jpg.4eca37cfed375e01a0d8e6d25b859ee1.jpg

I don't think it's the Troodontid that exists in the Morrison. Their teeth had serrations that hooked up. Strangely enough small theropods in the Morrison are not understood all that well. Coelurus/Tanycolagreus/Ornthilostes are not well described to the public. Plus there are not really any described very small theropods. I would stick with Theropod as the label, still mysteries in the Morrison to be solved. 

Ok, perhaps in the future I'll be able to find a match when we finally understand the smaller theropods of the Morrison. Thanks for your information everyone!

Sadly, there are no additional pictures.

Archived