Gainesville fossil material

Joseph Lambert

I've gone to Gainesville a few times and I haven't found many megalodon teeth, a bunch of fragments is about it. Anyways I'm going for a nice megalodon tooth. I'm not asking you guys to give up a spot but what kind of material should I look in to find a good preserved fossil? Like a good size megalodon or a horse tooth or anything of that nature. I have found that the rock rich spots have lots of smaller shark teeth but nothing big. I've seen some people look in a clay like material and find good preserved fossils but what should I look for? I need some help thanks

• 1 month later...

This should help Click here.

Remember there's only so much you can do when it boils down to it perseverance and thoroughness are your best friends.

Also remember your not limited to the creek the entire area is fossil rich if something catches your eye out of the water check it out good luck I hope this was of some use to you.

rydysig.JPG

I would say if You are finding "fragalodon" then You are in the right area. Keep looking and a whole megalodon should show up, eventually.

Good luck!

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

I'm with Tony, seems only 1 in10 megs I find are case worthy. Also the bigger the gravel typically the bigger the fossils to be found in it. I like to go the extra mile too and get away from easily reached spots and in holes that don't look very inviting. Good luck, you're in a great state for hunting:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/18/2017 at 1:42 PM, jcbshark said:

get away from easily reached spots and in holes that don't look very inviting.

Look for the holes that have a really big gator in or near it...they are guarding it for a reason!

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Archived