Mazon creek fossils ID

Miocene_Mason

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased a lot of Mazon creek concretions for an extremely low amount of money. From this and the picture I assumed it meant most were just concretions, but I could see two ferns so I bid for it and easily one. I'm not familiar with Mazon creek flora and fauna, so I decide to ask all of you if they are just rocks or fossils, and if they are fossils, what type. There's sixteen so I'm going to post two a time (perhaps two a week depending on how fast they are identified) as to not overload all of you. First up is the two I know are fossils, both of which I think are ferns. Species or genus might not be possible to find out, but it's worth a try.

IMG_1574.JPG

IMG_1575.JPG

IMG_1576.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Second one now

IMG_1577.JPG

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Cool! From what I know, it is a bit of a lottery, but if you got them on the cheap - more power to you!I know our Mazon experts will be on this shortly, but kudos on getting a bundle! :) 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

IMG_1580.JPG

@Kanethanks, at price they were (spare change) there was almost no reason not to jump on it.

IMG_1579.JPG

If more or better pictures are needed, let me know.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Not quite the response (or lack there of) I expected. I'm gonna guess Alethopteris for the first one, I don't think I'd is possible for the second one. I've decided to do a second thread for the rest, because they may all be nothing.

Happy hunting,

Mason

Archived