Bguild

Cory's Lane Outting

Bguild

It's a bit short notice, but I'm planning to do some shale splitting this Sunday 6/11/2017 at Corys Lane. The weather this weekend is looking good and low tide is at an opportune time on Sunday (about 3pm). If anyone is bored you should come say hi :D.

Fossildude19
2 hours ago, Bguild said:

It's a bit short notice, but I'm planning to do some shale splitting this Sunday 6/11/2017 at Corys Lane. The weather this weekend is looking good and low tide is at an opportune time on Sunday (about 3pm). If anyone is bored you should come say hi :D.

I will seriously consider this hunt.  I don't think I have anything planned for the day. Could be neat. :) 

I'll send a PM if I am able to make it . 

Regards, 

Bguild
2 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I will seriously consider this hunt.  I don't think I have anything planned for the day. Could be neat. :) 

I'll send a PM if I am able to make it . 

Regards, 

Sounds good :dinothumb:. If the tide is at its lowest at 3pm it's best to get there a bit earlier as the tide is on it's way out. Sure beats the time I left Boston at 5am to get to Rhode Island around 6am for low tide :wacko:. Early in the season while the days are still short the only real option is often to hunt in the morning since the later low tide is often close to sunset. This time I get to sleep in :D.

Conditions should be great for a half a day of smacking rocks!

Fossildude19

Half a day is better than none. :) 

Pagurus

Hmmm. Very tempting. They're predicting 90+ degree weather inland, but I expect it will be a bit cooler there by the water. And I usually manage to "accidentally" fall into the ocean on a hot day. Tempting. It's a few years since I've been there. Thanks for the invite. I will definitely think about it.

Mike

Bguild

Good ol' AccuWeather says sunny with a high of 82 degrees in portsmouth, RI on Sunday. 10 mph winds as well. I have yet to jump in the water there, but maybe one of these extra hot days! The ocean breeze usually keeps me cool enough B).

Fossildude19

I'm planning on going, Bguild. 

My son and I, at least, should be there by around 2:00 PM or so. :) 

Look forward to meeting you all there. 

Bguild
3 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

I'm planning on going, Bguild. 

My son and I, at least, should be there by around 2:00 PM or so. :) 

Look forward to meeting you all there. 

Awesome! Should be a great time. @Pagurus shot me a message saying he and his wife were shooting for 1pm. I'm on a similar schedule, maybe 1:30pm.

Look for the tall guy with Mass license plates and you've found me :D. See you guys there.

Cheers,

Barret

Wrangellian

Be sure to post what y'all find here.

Bguild

Well the weather was awesome. @Pagurus takes home the find of the day! Just after @Fossildude19 left too. I had him promise to upload a picture of the sweet Pecopteris he found! It was cool splitting shale with you guys :D . At the end of the day I think everyone had something worthy to take home.

I've been trying to limit what I bring back with me as my apartment is quickly running out of space, but here are a couple that I took home. I hadn't yet found a decent Alethopteris at this location and happened upon a couple small, but decently preserved plate of pinnules and stems so at least  I can check that off the list.

Alethopteris #1

593f28d92a17e_FullSizeRender(2).thumb.jpg.3e0d46ae3a91e2ec4c6c4640bd11f39a.jpgS20170612_0003.thumb.jpg.e97d3bb4f3b55aa36a6194984cec1883.jpg

Bguild

Alethopteris #2

593f2c0f7e59c_FullSizeRender(3).thumb.jpg.632106a60080bb9895ebcfa98bac0920.jpg

Calamites

593f2c61bf4c8_FullSizeRender(4).thumb.jpg.6bdead5d6b29cffebbe84c6adac73466.jpg

doushantuo

enjoyable post,good work!!

Fossildude19

Mike, 

Glad you made that last minute excellent find! :wub: 

Also glad that I wasn't there, to percolate in jealousy at your trip-making fern! :rolleyes: 

Fantastic find, my friend. 

Well, I made a few finds, nothing truly notable, but Mike gifted me 1/2 of a nice Pecopteris he had found in those skinny layers. 

Sometimes, my wandering ways work, and other times, ... not so much. But I was glad to finally be able to visit this classic locality, after many years of procrastination. 

I will add some photos when I get a chance to clean and photograph my finds. 

It was, all in all, a nice day on the beach, and great meeting some Fossil Forum compadres out in the field. :) 

Regards, 

Bguild

@Pagurus I might have spoken too soon calling the bigger fern you found a Pecopteris specimen. Looking at the pictures it looks like the bases of the pinnules are confluent. Perhaps this is actually Alethopteris.

Pagurus

@Bguild It looked to me like the pinnules were separate, originally, but on second thought I'm leaning toward your interpretation. The confluence isn't as obvious as it often is, but it does look like it's there to me. As you well know, a lot of the plants from Cory's Lane are distorted and the preservation isn't quite what we'd like, though it's not bad. Are you fairly confident that it's an Alethopteris or do think I should post it in the ID section of the forum?

Pagurus
6 hours ago, doushantuo said:

enjoyable post,good work!!

Thanks. It was an enjoyable day!

fossilized6s

Nice finds guys. I'd love to get there some day. Always nice when like minded people get to hunt together. 

Bguild
15 hours ago, Pagurus said:

@Bguild It looked to me like the pinnules were separate, originally, but on second thought I'm leaning toward your interpretation. The confluence isn't as obvious as it often is, but it does look like it's there to me. As you well know, a lot of the plants from Cory's Lane are distorted and the preservation isn't quite what we'd like, though it's not bad. Are you fairly confident that it's an Alethopteris or do think I should post it in the ID section of the forum?

I can't say for certain, but there do seem to be confluent pinnules. What throws me off is that the Alethopteris that are known from the Rhode Island Formation seem to have decurrent leaves going up the pinnules. The pinnules of your specimen are concurrent across the stems. The confluence we're seeing might be the result of distortion. 

594145a67af6d_ScreenShot2017-06-14at9_59_41AM.png.8f4ba7d2d8bfb56f0896ae079fae626e.png

Pagurus

@Wrangellian, we made some nice finds for this site, and since you asked I wanted to be sure you had a chance to see them. It was fun to hunt with other forum members too.

Fossildude19

Well here are a few of my finds: 

Unidentified fern                                                                       Unidentified fern                                                                 Asterophyllites equisetiformis??

DSCN5563-2.JPG       DSCN5582-2.JPG       DSCN5594-2.JPG             

Mike's generous gift to me.  Thanks again, Mike!  @Pagurus

DSCN5601.JPG

DSCN5599.JPG       DSCN5606.JPG

Wrangellian
8 hours ago, Pagurus said:

@Wrangellian, we made some nice finds for this site, and since you asked I wanted to be sure you had a chance to see them. It was fun to hunt with other forum members too.

Thanks, You guys did make some great finds!

Quack

Hi all ... Quack here ... new to this site, but a fossil hound since I was a kid (a Long time ago!).

Not certain of the protocol here, but ... 

I'm intrigued by the Cory lane site mentioned ... any chance someone would share the location with me ?  

I see from comments it's near the shore ... 

Also,

Uncertain how communication occurs on the site ... I guess I'll watch for replies ... but, can share my e-mail also.  

Thanks,

Q.

Fossildude19
7 hours ago, Quack said:

Hi all ... Quack here ... new to this site, but a fossil hound since I was a kid (a Long time ago!).

Not certain of the protocol here, but ... 

I'm intrigued by the Cory lane site mentioned ... any chance someone would share the location with me ?  

I see from comments it's near the shore ... 

Also,

Uncertain how communication occurs on the site ... I guess I'll watch for replies ... but, can share my e-mail also.  

Thanks,

Q.

Welcome to the Forum, Quack. :)

The site is in Portsmouth, Rhode Island, at the end of Corys Lane. You have to go at low tide, to get to the area of shale that is to the right of the access (looking towards the ocean.)

Good luck, and let us know what you find. 

Regards,