Bguild

Cory's Lane Outting

DoyouthinkhesaurusRex

Awesome find, guys! I never thought fossils could be found here in lil Rhody!

Hopefully next summer I can make a trek over there.

Pagurus

I'm glad you found this post! Good luck. 

DoyouthinkhesaurusRex

Since I had to cross the bridge for an errand today anyway, and the weather was a balmy 30-ish and sunny, I decided to go check out this location.

With the major storm that came through recently, I figured there might be some new rock eroded down to search through.

Having no experience and limited knowledge,  I just picked some rocks loose at beach head that looked promising and Gronk-smashed with my hammer...

For those experienced at this location, generally how clean/clear are the fossils?  Are they easy to spot? There are some nice pieces pictured in this thread, but are they the norm? 

I really did not see anything on-location, and chose a couple of small pieces to investigate better at home.  After some gentle prep, I think I might have something, but it is hard to tell. Especially since most photos online I can find have specimens prepped to bring them out against the matrix.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Fossildude19
39 minutes ago, DoyouthinkhesaurusRex said:

Since I had to cross the bridge for an errand today anyway, and the weather was a balmy 30-ish and sunny, I decided to go check out this location.

With the major storm that came through recently, I figured there might be some new rock eroded down to search through.

Having no experience and limited knowledge,  I just picked some rocks loose at beach head that looked promising and Gronk-smashed with my hammer...

For those experienced at this location, generally how clean/clear are the fossils?  Are they easy to spot? There are some nice pieces pictured in this thread, but are they the norm? 

I really did not see anything on-location, and chose a couple of small pieces to investigate better at home.  After some gentle prep, I think I might have something, but it is hard to tell. Especially since most photos online I can find have specimens prepped to bring them out against the matrix.

Hello.

It kind of depends. When you have experience fossil hunting, things can be more easily seen. 

In the case of the fossils at this site, they can be a bit difficult to see, but usually you can see some contrast with a low angled light. 

The fossils tend to be silverish on a grey background. 

The photos here are fairly true to life. ;) 

Post up whatever you think you have found. 

We'll let you know what you have, if we can.  :)

Regards,

Pagurus
1 hour ago, DoyouthinkhesaurusRex said:

30 degrees did feel balmy today, didn't it. I'm glad you were able to get out there for awhile. I've been to that site a few times, with very mixed results. The plant fossils are not prolific there, but with a little luck and a bit of experience I've made some decent finds. I've occasionally found bits of ferns and other plants on the surface, without any digging or splitting, but not often. I had to resort to some Gronk-smashing without a hammer one day when I happened to be in the area without any tools, and came home with next to nothing other than a pleasant walk by the edge of the sea. It does take quite a bit of persistence to make some good finds there, and even then you could come home with nothing. Or, you might just find a specimen worthy of a place on your shelf. As Tim noted, the plants tend to be silvery gray on a gray background, and somewhat difficult to see unless the light is right, but they can look like the pictures in this thread. Sometimes it just takes a lot of splitting, and sometimes it takes a little experience to get the shale to split along the plane where the fossils might be.  It's not the most productive spot but to my mind nearly any day at the seashore is a good day. If you get a chance post some photos of anything that looks like it might possibly be a fossil. Sometimes it's hard to tell.

Mike

DoyouthinkhesaurusRex

Thanks Tim & Mike.

I will try to see if I can get what the eye is picking up onto a photo to post.

By your description, I think I can rule out a piece or two, and chalk it up to mineral-staining.

The ones that really have me guessing when moved across the light look like they have spots of different texture that resemble thick-bladed grass clippings. and one piece has a raised three-pronged-something the size of a bird's foot that could be anything from a trace fossil, to a leaf in a layer below (that I don't dare attempt to split out at this time), to air bubbles... so who knows. 

I appreciate the replies and hopefully we can meet up down there some time for some splittin'

Edited by DoyouthinkhesaurusRex

Bguild
11 hours ago, DoyouthinkhesaurusRex said:

Hey there,

The preservation quality definitely varies at this locality. Imprints can be faint, but there's also clear imprints that can be found. It's usually pretty easy to see the fossils in the daylight. 

I haven't had much luck looking through the rocks that washed out on the beach. In my experience the good stuff can be found in the lower layers of rock in the wall, or just a few inches under the beach. 

There's shale everywhere, but only the harder rock preserves fossils well. I usually spend the first half hour at this spot chiseling small chunks of rock out of the lower layers until I start to notice plant material in the bits of rock. Once I find a productive layer of rock I start to excavate larger slabs that can be split. You want to look for the hard, dark grey rock. 

Below are some of my better finds from this spot. That's the color shale you're looking for!

large.59a8d1ef642c7_FullSizeRender(66).thumb.jpg.06f2d5dd1d2d78f73f7546334c4ad1f48.jpg.f6761f93a1c43e5e01e3e702a452db17.jpg.f0ccb7f56b049ebe656093ca6f8662f5.jpg

large.5980d21a33fdd_FullSizeRender3.jpg.07b5c09cb7b2aae60e7349abe7a1c3f0.thumb.jpg.b1be07a6b754c8a016c58110ba4d7e7f.jpg

large.FullSizeRender1.png.bb00f9aa5cbac1f8a5dde317339b3673.thumb.png.e455f982e891eb73013278e52539cbf2.png

DoyouthinkhesaurusRex

@Bguild thank you very much, that is really useful information.  Not all the pieces I had picked from were loose, some were broken from pieces just below the surface. However, I did notice much of what I was hitting was either soft, or infiltrated with ice (so presumably soft as well).  I'm happy to see I was seeking in the right color rock, that is encouraging.  

Again, thanks to all of you for the tips, I'll be sure to keep them in mind on my next hunt.