Knightia eocaena vs. Knightia humilis

Sagebrush Steve

@Sagebrush Steve

I have 4 copies total 1 of the 1980 edition and 3 of the 1984 second edition

The second title pages on all the 1984's I have say 1984. I have:

Second Edition, first printing

Second Edition, second printing

Second Edition, third printing

PS. I wrote the two editions of the cited Green River book more than 30 years ago. I now have a much more up-to-date book on the most productive quarries of the Green River Formation, with hundreds of color illustrations, maps and stories about early quarriers, and a fairly complete graphic atlas of the flora and fauna. It is still available on Amazon. It is:

Grande, L. 2013. The Lost World of Fossil Lake: Snapshots from deep time. University of Chicago Press. 425 pages.

Also, this year released a book called Curators (also on Amazon) about museum science and their eclectic scientists (including several paleontologists). It is built around an autobiographical core of my 35 years as a professional museum scientist, and is also packed with color images. It contains a broad collection of personal stories and adventures. Hope you enjoy it. Here is a link:

goo.gl/kMyMPi

Cheers,

RLG

The publication date refers to the edition, not the printing. Printings are simply copies of the last edition. New editions mean significant revisions were made to the text which is why they get new dates.

• I found this Informative 4

57 minutes ago, RLG said:

PS. I wrote the two editions of the cited Green River book more than 30 years ago. I now have a much more up-to-date book on the most productive quarries of the Green River Formation, with hundreds of color illustrations, maps and stories about early quarriers, and a fairly complete graphic atlas of the flora and fauna. It is still available on Amazon. It is:

Grande, L. 2013. The Lost World of Fossil Lake: Snapshots from deep time. University of Chicago Press. 425 pages.

Also, this year released a book called Curators (also on Amazon) about museum science and their eclectic scientists (including several paleontologists). It is built around an autobiographical core of my 35 years as a professional museum scientist, and is also packed with color images. It contains a broad collection of personal stories and adventures. Hope you enjoy it. Here is a link:

goo.gl/kMyMPi

Cheers,

RLG

The publication date refers to the edition, not the printing. Printings are simply copies of the last edition. New editions mean significant revisions were made to the text which is why they get new dates.

Yes, my birthday is coming up and I've already asked my family to get me your new book as a present.  Hopefully they do, otherwise I'll buy it myself :)

Hi Lance... thanks for the detailed synopsis of our state fossil.  

And thanks for the info on your new book.  Right up my alley...    

-JP from the Tate Museum

On 6/15/2017 at 9:10 AM, jpc said:

the 404 might be cuz they are actively workingon it?  I just tried it, too.  I got 404. 

I have a few copies of both editions right here.  The internal title page says 1984.  I am sure the 1980 version is out of print.  You may have to call them to order the book.  I think it is about 17 bucks.  

I just checked with the Wyoming Geological Survey and they said they should have the correct 1984 edition loaded on their website later today.  Also, I picked up Lance's new book on the fossils of the Fossil Butte Member of the Green River formation and it is outstanding!

5 hours ago, Sagebrush Steve said:

I just checked with the Wyoming Geological Survey and they said they should have the correct 1984 edition loaded on their website later today.  Also, I picked up Lance's new book on the fossils of the Fossil Butte Member of the Green River formation and it is outstanding!

The correct 1984 edition is now posted on the WGS site here.

• I found this Informative 1