Pinniped Fossils

Dave pom Allen

Can any one out there help me with any information or pdf`s on fossil seals(pinnipedia) of the late miocene to early pliocene anything will be greatfully excepted. :drool:

PM Bosse! That is right down his alley.

If only my teeth are so prized a million years from now!

Can any one out there help me with any information or pdf`s on fossil seals(pinnipedia) of the late miocene to early pliocene anything will be greatfully excepted. :drool:

There are two good references that I know about:

Koretsky, I.A. and C.E. Ray. 2008.

Phocidae of the Pliocene of Eastern USA. in Ray, C.E., D.J. Bohaska, I.A. Koretsky, L.W. Ward, and L.G. Barnes (eds.) Geology and Paleontology of the Lee Creek Mine, North Carolina, IV. Virginia Museum of Natural History Special Publication No. 14.

You can buy the above pub on the VMNH website. It has nice photos of Pliocene seals but since what you tend to find in the southeast US are isolated bones and teeth, that's what the photos show.

de Muizon, C. 1981.

Les Vertebres Fossiles de la Formation Pisco (Perou). Premiere partie: Deux nouveaux Monachinae (Phocidae, Mammalia) du Pliocene de Ud-Sacaco. Memoire numero 6. Travaux de L'Institut Francais d'Etudes Andines.

Yeah, it's in French but it has several nice line drawings and several great plates of photos of Pliocene seal bones from Peru. There are great views of skulls along with a really nice line drawing of a skeleton as a two-page spread. I have tried to find a place to buy this but it was expensive when I did find one online seller. If you go to a major university earth sciences or life sciences library, you might find it to photocopy.

Both have mulit-page reference lists for you to draw from for further research.

Hey guys,

thanks for the publicity. In new zealand, I'm not sure what you're finding - I may have been in contact with you before - did you ever post anything on fossilweb?

Anyway... I would search for references on true seals (phocidae), as I suspect much of the SW pacific pinniped record is composed by them. The Muizon (1981) paper is likely your best bet. However, also consult Demere and Berta 2005..

However, if you are finding fur seal and sea lion fossils, then consult pubs on the otariidae, including the above pdf, and Repenning and Tedford (1977), the 'godfather' of all west coast fossil pinniped studies.

Repenning and Tedford, 1977. Otarioid seals of the Neogene. USGS professional paper 992.

Bobby

Hey guys,

thanks for the publicity. In new zealand, I'm not sure what you're finding - I may have been in contact with you before - did you ever post anything on fossilweb?

Anyway... I would search for references on true seals (phocidae), as I suspect much of the SW pacific pinniped record is composed by them. The Muizon (1981) paper is likely your best bet. However, also consult Demere and Berta 2005..

However, if you are finding fur seal and sea lion fossils, then consult pubs on the otariidae, including the above pdf, and Repenning and Tedford (1977), the 'godfather' of all west coast fossil pinniped studies.

Repenning and Tedford, 1977. Otarioid seals of the Neogene. USGS professional paper 992.

Bobby

It is still quite possible that you can order Repenning and Tedford (1977) through the USGS. I bought it at the Map Sales room at the Menlo Park office either early last year or the year before.

Also, I see I misspelled a word within the title of de Muizon (1981): that word "Ud-Sacaco" should read "Sud-Sacaco." I hope one of my French professors doesn't see that.

Hey guys,

Bobby

thanks bobby,

im always looking for more information as i still havent identifyed material that i am finding here in new zealand,

i am also finding new material all the time not just seal and whale material but sea birds penguin petrels and an albatross wing

all new species so identifying them has been a long slow process.

and yes i have been on the fossilweb and it has been very helpful

thanks again Dave

Have you found more avian material since last we spoke? I guess I should check your gallery...

I flew right over you a couple months ago, in transit from Auckland to Dunedin, wishing all the while that the purpose of my trip had included the opportunity to see your collection. Maybe next time :)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Have you found more avian material since last we spoke? I guess I should check your gallery...

I flew right over you a couple months ago, in transit from Auckland to Dunedin, wishing all the while that the purpose of my trip had included the opportunity to see your collection. Maybe next time :)

Yes i have found more penguin material. another sternum

Yes i have found more penguin material. another sternum

Cool! Is this one of yours? http://www.fossilweb.com/FossilPages/SpecimenFS75.htm

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Smilodon

Are you aware of this publication?

Seal/Dolphin ~ Phoca/Stenella: A Skeletal Comparison of Two Marine Mammals

by John R. Timmerman

Copyright 1997

North Carolina Fossil Club Inc.

This is a very good book if you want to attempt to identify the numerous pinniped bones and teeth encountered at this site. You can get it by writing to:

The North Carolina Fossil Club, Inc.

P.O. Box 2777

Durham, NC 27715

The only thing I could find on a quick google search was The Encyclopedia of Marine Mammals which can be read at google books. They have some pages about fossil sites for Pliocene and Miocene seals.

There's a newly discovered fossil site in South Carolina called Walrus Pit. Of course, it has walruses, but they're of Pleistocene age.

Curiously, walrus fossils in South Carolina are from sediments thought to be of interglacial age.

Guest Smilodon
The only thing I could find on a quick google search was The Encyclopedia of Marine Mammals which can be read at google books. They have some pages about fossil sites for Pliocene and Miocene seals.

There's a newly discovered fossil site in South Carolina called Walrus Pit. Of course, it has walruses, but they're of Pleistocene age.

Curiously, walrus fossils in South Carolina are from sediments thought to be of interglacial age.

I used to have a partial monster Walrus tusk from FLORIDA - bigger than the one in the state museum.

Guest Smilodon

Ever seen seal bones like these? Miocene from the Ukraine.

post-2027-1249998129_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1249998211_thumb.jpg

Ever seen seal bones like these? Miocene from the Ukraine.

post-2027-1249998129_thumb.jpg

post-2027-1249998211_thumb.jpg

I have the 2 on the right but bigger the these specimens thanks Smilodon for the help

post-1182-1250037323_thumb.jpg

post-1182-1250037410_thumb.jpg

Archived