Can anyone else see the leaves?

Kim Ellis

I have shown many people these... I believe they are leaves... Can anyone else see the overlapped leaves? Or negative images... Not your typical leaf fossil I know... 

Curious if anyone else can see it.... 

20170609_200204.jpg

Idem than for your precedent post, i don't see fossils of leaves there. Dame nature is mischievous.

• I found this Informative 1

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Hi Kim,

I can see the darker coloring on your rocks and some of them seem to be shaped like a leaf, but this is not the type of rock that would preserve a leaf fossil. Your rock looks like chert which can have very intriguing coloring and other surprising patterns, or it might be as @Fossildude19 said, "quartzite". I have found many interesting rocks over the years that I thought simply had to be fossils but turned out to be interesting concretions or other types of rock oddities.

Since you are living in Idaho, there are some collecting sites that have been written about in this forum. Have you heard of the Fossil Bowl in Clarkia? Here is a post which mentions this site as an excellent one for wonderfully preserved plant fossils. I would love to have the opportunity to visit this location! Check  out the link below. :) 

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/70253-fossil-hunting-near-idaho/

• I found this Informative 7

After doing some research I believe this rock is chert. My brain definitely saw the nodules of green chert as leaves inside the yellow and white chert surrounding it. 

Thanks for not booting me after my first super "blonde" moment... ;-)

• I found this Informative 3

5 hours ago, Kim Ellis said:

After doing some research I believe this rock is chert. My brain definitely saw the nodules of green chert as leaves inside the yellow and white chert surrounding it. 

Kim, 

Everyone here has had to start somewhere, in this hobby.

We all make mistakes - it's part of the learning curve with fossil hunting. ;) 

Oilshale's signature quote says it all -

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC)."

By posting things like this, it not only teaches you, but also teaches others who read these posts - they are learning something at the same time you are. 

It is very easy to get hung up on shapes, outlines, and colors when starting to fossil hunt. Everyone does it. 

But it is in learning from those mistakes that we grow in knowledge. :) 

Kind regards, 

• I found this Informative 6

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

On 10/06/2017 at 4:03 AM, jewelonly said:

this is not the type of rock that would preserve a leaf fossil.

The Rhynie Chert from Scotland contains exceptionally preserved fossil plants down to cellular level. In this example however, I don't see any plant matter.

13 hours ago, Kosmoceras said:

The Rhynie Chert from Scotland contains exceptionally preserved fossil plants down to cellular level. In this example however, I don't see any plant matter.

Thank you, @Kosmoceras! Interesting, especially the "down to cellular level". Our chert occasionally yields shells or similar hard bodied fossils. Thank you for the information! @Kim Ellis, this is a great example of how we are continually learning from others on this forum. :) 

Leah

That  didnt post earlier. Tha k you so much for all the information! It is greatly appreciated! I work for the university here in Pocatello and have for 20 + years. I have never taken any of.my pieces in to examined., but I am considering taking this one... Curiosity killed the cat... hopefully not tje owner LOL!!!

Kim