Kim Ellis

Can anyone else see the leaves?

Kim Ellis

I have shown many people these... I believe they are leaves... Can anyone else see the overlapped leaves? Or negative images... Not your typical leaf fossil I know... 

Curious if anyone else can see it.... 

20170609_200204.jpg

fifbrindacier

Idem than for your precedent post, i don't see fossils of leaves there. Dame nature is mischievous.

Kim Ellis

After doing some research I believe this rock is chert. My brain definitely saw the nodules of green chert as leaves inside the yellow and white chert surrounding it. 

Thanks for not booting me after my first super "blonde" moment... ;-)

Rockwood

If being wrong were impeachable the pages around here would be pretty bare :)

Kosmoceras
On 10/06/2017 at 4:03 AM, jewelonly said:

this is not the type of rock that would preserve a leaf fossil.

The Rhynie Chert from Scotland contains exceptionally preserved fossil plants down to cellular level. In this example however, I don't see any plant matter.

jewelonly
13 hours ago, Kosmoceras said:

The Rhynie Chert from Scotland contains exceptionally preserved fossil plants down to cellular level. In this example however, I don't see any plant matter.

Thank you, @Kosmoceras! Interesting, especially the "down to cellular level". Our chert occasionally yields shells or similar hard bodied fossils. Thank you for the information! @Kim Ellis, this is a great example of how we are continually learning from others on this forum. :) 

Leah

Kim Ellis

After doing some research I believe this rock is chert. My brain definitely saw the nodules of green chert as leaves inside the yellow and white chert surrounding it. 

Thanks for not booting me after my first super "blonde" moment... ;-)

That  didnt post earlier. Tha k you so much for all the information! It is greatly appreciated! I work for the university here in Pocatello and have for 20 + years. I have never taken any of.my pieces in to examined., but I am considering taking this one... Curiosity killed the cat... hopefully not tje owner LOL!!!

Kim