Venice Beach Evening Fossil Hunt

Panhandle001

I will be in Venice Beach Sunday through Friday of next week (6/11-16) for a investigations class.  I am looking for some easy access locations to do some quick evening fossil hunts while I am in town.  I am from Pensacola and there is not much fossil opportunities so I try to find what I can when I'm in other areas.  If anyone could help to guide me to some quick spots around Venice Beach it would be greatly appreciated.  

To me it seems like there's better pickings at middle beach on manasota key, about 15 minutes south of Venice. Good luck:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

As jcbshark said the middle beach on Manasota Key is the place to go. We vacation on the Key once or twice a year and spend most of our time tooth hunting. We hit the private beaches where we stay, then the three public beaches on the key, and then Venice. It has all boiled down to the middle beach "Blinds Pass Beach". Just park and walk to the right and find a seashell zone with the largest shells, sit down and comb thru them. You will find up to ten every spot you sit down, plus puffer fish mouth plates. You will see everyone else walking by scanning the surf finding only a tidbit or two. Now if you got out of class at five you could be at the Peace River at 6ish !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the info and hints!  I wish I could bring my gear but loading up a patrol car with fossiling gear is frowned upon.  Looking forward to searching the area. 

I make our sifters for the Peace River so they sit flat in our luggage then pack on top of them. A $7.00 shovel from Walmart which is given away before we fly out.

Archived