Permian vert and mystery

gturner333

I found the following vertebra from some Permian matrix out of Oklahoma. I'm not sure if it is a fossil or something recent. When I dropped it into some water, it did sink like a rock. Does it look like any Permian vertebrae that you have seen?

I also found this interesting dome-shaped item. Looks kind of geological or possibly coral to me, but I would like a 2nd opinion. 

Thanks.

vert 1 end 1.jpg

vert 1 end 2 a.jpg

vert 1 side 1.jpg

vert 1 side 2.jpg

dome side.jpg

dome top.jpg

It does. It matches up with a garter snake vert I saw on the web. So, I am guessing it is recent???

16 minutes ago, gturner333 said:

It does. It matches up with a garter snake vert I saw on the web. So, I am guessing it is recent???

Snake vertebrae have not changed in million of years but my guess is recent.  

That's okay. I think I will still keep it. The ball and socket is interesting and I guess that allows it to slither around so well.

Any ideas on the little dome?

14 minutes ago, gturner333 said:

That's okay. I think I will still keep it. The ball and socket is interesting and I guess that allows it to slither around so well.

Any ideas on the little dome?

Tap the vertebra with a rock or something. If it makes a tink tink sound its probably mineralized and is a fossil.

Image result for snake vertebrae

The picture I posted is of fossilized snake vertebrae. If anyone wants to put them side by side... They don't seem to match though.

I didn't hear any "tink", but it is pretty small. Considering that its coloration is different from all of the other fossils I have been finding in this matrix, I believe that it probably is recent.

Here is a bottom view of the dome. I starting to lean toward geological on this one.

dome bottom.jpg

The dome object reminds me of either a very water worn/ just forming piece of beekite. :unsure:

I'd go with geologic for an origin on this. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Earliest snake fossils so far are from the Jurassic. Permian would be much too old.