Florida fossil seashells

Shellseeker

Today I met a family group visiting around Sanibel. They had the fantastic good fortune to be searching beaches while renourishment from gravel pits was occurring. They have checked with experts and actually know the identification of this 1st outstanding fossil.

IMG_4246.thumb.JPG.2dfc4ad347d1b143f460db5d28bd61aa.JPG 

Nice!! I not knowing the ID of the following LARGE Conus shell (89.5 mm x 49.5 mm) introduced them to TFF and promised to get a few experts ( @MikeR, @digit And any others) to comment. A set of photos

I have raved justifiably about this forum. Please come to my rescue, yet once again. Shellseeker

IMG_4239.JPG

IMG_4240.JPG

IMG_4242.JPG

IMG_4245.JPG

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hey Jack, so you are messing with shells again....good deal. I cant seem to stay away from them either.

I am interested in what ID Mike and the others come up with.  The Eocene tag you got on this especially interests me...Is that age right? I've seen some of what I thought were Lindaconus as well as the Conus that size in the younger sediments. I am also interested to hear what the experts called the 1st gastropod. One of the Pterorytis? or something else? 

OK I'll stop asking questions and wait for someone in the know...

Regards, Chris 

Just a blind guess for the first one: P. fluviana? :headscratch:

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

1 hour ago, abyssunder said:

Just a blind guess for the first one: P. fluviana? :headscratch:

You are goood!! It is fluviana. I found one in SMR aggravates 4 years ago not nearly as nice as this one.

Chris, I am dead wrong on the age 3-4 mya is a much better guess. 

I noted that the size of this shell at 89.5 is above the known max size of conus spurius, so I guess I am looking for a lindaconus with a max size that would encompass this size. The largest modern conus that shows up on Sanibel beaches is spurius. I also am waiting for the deep expertise.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Hi,

10 hours ago, abyssunder said:

Juste une supposition aveugle pour le premier: P. fluviana ?:headscratch:

What means "P." in P. fluviana ?

Please don't use just the initial of a fossil (or recent species) when this one wasn't written in full earlier in the text. For obvious reasons of understanding, we write the initial genus only when it was already quoted in full before. ;)

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I was referring to Pterorytis fluviana species.  = P. fluviana

"One of the Pterorytis ? or something else?"

The reason why I used only the initial letter plus point (P.) of  the genus Pterorytis is that it was mentioned by Chris before my post (as a good guess), but you are correct, the binomial name wasn't used earlier in the topic.  :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

I like very much Muricidae, can we see its opening Please ?

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

5 hours ago, Coco said:

I like very much Muricidae, can we see its opening Please ?

Coco

Glad to oblige, not quite the same angle as the other side.  Jack

IMG_4247.thumb.JPG.8f2168c7958e98d2823883c7de37d59e.JPG

Hi,

:wub::wub:

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Archived