Found last night

CJBuhler

My daughter and I were fossil hunting near our farm last night and she found this.  It looks like a vertebrae to me.

Is it a vertebrae?  If so, what might it be from?

IMG_0588.JPG

It would really help if you could state where geographically it was found and if you know the age of deposit.

It does look rather shark to me.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

We just went into the hills near our farm and started digging in the areas of rain runoff.  We're in Graham County, KS.  If that helps.

• I found this Informative 1

I think it might be a bony fish vertebra but would need pictures of the sides to be sure.

• I found this Informative 1

23 minutes ago, CJBuhler said:

We just went into the hills near our farm and started digging in the areas of rain runoff.  We're in Graham County, KS.  If that helps.

Since you are from Kansas this is most likely Xiphactinus or another Cretaceous bony fish vertebrae I think.

• I found this Informative 2

I looked up a geologic map of our county and it has the area we found the fossil vertebrae in named  Niobrara Chalk.  Does that help?

On 6/10/2017 at 5:41 PM, CJBuhler said:

I looked up a geologic map of our county and it has the area we found the fossil vertebrae in named  Niobrara Chalk.  Does that help?

It certainly does, my best guess is indeed Xiphactinus as, to my knowledge, it is rather common in this formation.

I find these in the smokey hill chalk of kansas all the time because of the sise i would think to say Xiphactinus .But then that would have come from a small Xiphactinus. ( Or a Really BIG Shark).

http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Publications/Bulletins/225/02_intro.html

CJBuhler- above is a good paper to check out regarding the world famous Niobrara Chalk that you are so fortunate to be located amongst.  I'm thinking your vertebra is from a bony fish as well.

An important thing to remember is that the Niobrara is known for preserving articulated specimens.  So there may be some more vertebrae down there in the wash.  :hammer01:  good luck and keep us posted.

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

This could certainly be from an x-fish but without any sign of a process attachment it could just as easily be from a shark. Google images of each for comparison and you will see the similarities and differences. I have seen shark verts in Texas almost 5 inches across so it's not too large for shark.

We're returning to the wash where it was found tomorrow, as well as checking out the quarries nearby.  My daughter is so excited about paleontology!

It is a fish vertebra in my book.  It doesn't look shark-like enough to me.  (Notice that a single piece of backbone is a vertebra, several of them are vertebrae).  The Niobrara has a lot of fish fossils, but nearby quarries might be in Quaternary (= Ice Age) deposits that sit above the Cretaceous Niobrara Chalk.  But good luck in the draw and the quarry.   

I'm thinking some kind of Elopiform (Like Pachyrizodus) or a Plethodid (like Pentanogmius). Not a shark and not a Xiphactinus