Is this a fragment of Sloth tooth?

old bones

Miatria's recent post regarding her nice sloth tooth ( http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/74577-is-this-a-sloth-tooth/ ), got me to thinking about a piece I've had for a few years. I found it on the beach at Edisto Island, S.C. which is known for it's Pleistocene fossils. The absence of enamel and the texture reminds me of @Miatria's find. What do you think?

E-No-Enamel.thumb.jpg.579559e7eb20f67ab6c5a0e7491bb412.jpg

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

I think it certainly looks like it could be Julianna, if so terrestrial mammal material is pretty rare from that neck of the woods:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

Take a look at the enamel edges on mastodon using a TFF search. If I have listened to Harry, sloth does not have enamel.

• I found this Informative 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

15 hours ago, jcbshark said:

I think it certainly looks like it could be Julianna, if so terrestrial mammal material is pretty rare from that neck of the woods:)

Actually, there are a lot of terrestrial mammal fossils on this beach owing to the offshore Pleistocene formation. :) One of the many reasons why I love that beach.

13 minutes ago, Shellseeker said:

Take a look at the enamel edges on mastodon using a TFF search. If I have listened to Harry, sloth does not have enamel.

It looks shiny like enamel in my photo, but instead resembles the shine of polished bone. I have a few chunks of mastodon enamel, and it is nowhere near as polished as those. Thanks for looking at this. :)

Not sloth.  The enamel layer is evident in the image.  Looks like proboscidean tusk.  Mastodonts have a thin cover of enamel on their tusks.  Gomphotheres have enamel, and this would be my guess.

gomphothere_tusk_A.JPG

gomphothere_tusk_B.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

30 minutes ago, Harry Pristis said:

Not sloth.  The enamel layer is evident in the image.  Looks like proboscidean tusk.  Mastodonts have a thin cover of enamel on their tusks.  Gomphotheres have enamel, and this would be my guess.

gomphothere_tusk_A.JPG

gomphothere_tusk_B.JPG

Good enough, Thanks Harry