Is there fossils to Be found in Alluvium?

Miocene_Mason

I just got my hands on a geological map, and near where I live there is Alluvium on river banks. This is Holocene, so pretty young and I understand alluvium is basically soil. Is there fossils possible in this stuff? Or even subfossils? Btw I'm not sure if this is in the right category so mods feel free to move it. Thanks guys!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

If there are river gravels you may find fossils that have been washed downstream from areas where they outcrop. Good examples are the paleozoic stuff that shows up in the gravels of places like Big Brook. 

And then there may be Ice Age material as well. 

• I found this Informative 3

Thanks @erose for the information, the rivers got its source near and it's in schist, phyllite, and quartzite. I will take a look though, see about those Fossils from the last glacial maximum.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason