Big tooth Cow or Bison?

sharko69

Found this huge tooth today in a Texas creek. Not sure if cow or first bison. The tooth is very large compared to the cow teeth and jaws I have. The enamel is over 50mm in length. Thanks for any help. It is a pretty tooth whatever it is.

IMG_2038.JPG

IMG_2040.JPG

IMG_2041.JPG

The significant measurements are the length and width of the crown, not the crown height.  It's definitely bovid, cow or bison -- an m3.  If I had to guess without the important measurement, I'd say cow.  Compare to this:

bison_bos_m3.JPG

bison_bos_m3_B.JPG

• I found this Informative 5

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Bos taurus dentition:

taurdeserter-1917.jpg

Occlusal wear with ontogeny(note typical edge erosion): 

taurderter-1917.jpg

sulcoreteolam.jpg

last one: serial sections,lower jaw m3,4 months old calf

• I found this Informative 3

• 3 years later...
On 11/06/2017 at 5:06 AM, Harry Pristis said:

The significant measurements are the length and width of the crown, not the crown height.  It's definitely bovid, cow or bison -- an m3.  If I had to guess without the important measurement, I'd say cow.  Compare to this:

bison_bos_m3.JPG

bison_bos_m3_B.JPG

but size doesnt seem to probe anything. i found this yesterday on top of sand at the river thames in central london at low tide. crown length 3.9cm and overall height of tooth 7.7cm. it could be a bison based on many different things people of fossil forum have been posting, but i highly doubt its as old as that. and there are so many cow teeth in this river. people have apparently found bison teeth in this river but i reckon youre 1,000 times more likely to find a cow tooth. anyway its the largest cow tooth ive found yet

AF052FA7-026A-4EDD-9813-F6FBBF93ADA4.jpeg

75D82E80-39F4-463D-B6C0-C3EFA3702E21.jpeg

1268DDC5-60CF-48CF-8DD3-DB53FF168960.jpeg

You're right about the uncertainty of identifying an isolated tooth.  All circumstances -- condition, context, size -- have to be considered.  There has been a butchery operation along the London Thames for more than a thousand years, so your estimate of 1,000 cow to one bison is probably conservative.

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest