Fossiliferrous chert

Kim Ellis

After my wonderful introduction yesterday, my research on chert discussed fossiliferrous chert. All indications in this chert lead to that. Could this have devonian fossils?

14971608725911869116421.jpg

Seems to have the same repeating pattern.

20170610_232658.jpg

I don't see any fossil here yet, but you have the right idea. Patterns that don't look quite random enough to be just minerals should always catch the eye.

I bash my chert again to get new breaks and put it under the microscope,some produce larger pieces like sponges.Be careful and do it outside with eye protection ,I wrap it in an old towel and try to aim at a fault crack.

Yvie

Yve,U having a crack at cracks?:P

You might,in time ,become a crack cracker.

**is dragged away kicking and screaming**

spiculitic chert is biogenic,as the name implies(sponge spicules).

The silica in this world is basically from rhyolitic volcanism,or from siliceous organisms

Check this out..... to me it looks like the mouth parts (I think it is from pictures)....

20170611_020220.jpg

Check this out..... to me it looks like the mouth parts (I think it is from pictures)....

20170611_020450.jpg

This is a piece I tumbled... I have had this rock for almost a year. A friend found it in our mountains and smashed it with a hammer. It was 1 big rock.

20170611_115937.jpg

Here is another aspectod the tumbled piece

20170611_115906.jpg

7 hours ago, doushantuo said:

Yve,U having a crack at cracks?:P

You might,in time ,become a crack cracker.

**is dragged away kicking and screaming**

Yes I'll stick to chert,not the other crack,see enough of the destruction it causes in my job.

Ok 1 more... just can't drop this... Do you agree that this is a fossil. Same rock

20170611_224521.jpg

Nothing I see here jumps out at me as being fossil, I agree with John.. polishes nice! As far as I know, fossils in chert don't generally jump out at you, in other words they don't pop out of the rock as you break it - you might need to get some polished slices and magnification to see anything. Look up 'Rhynie Chert' for examples.

Archived