Is this Dasypus bellus ?

old bones

This the smallest armadillo osteoderm that I have found yet. Is it even possible to ID it to species? I found it today in Sacha's 'frog toe' matrix.

MI2-Armadillo.thumb.jpg.59b5088c593e5e76ff45e43c679dd2c5.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

12-2023TFFsig.png.193bff42034b9285e960cff49786ba4e.png

It appears to be a Dasypus osteoderm.  It is so tiny, it may be only a guess as to which species it is.  I have no idea what size osteoderms a newborn D. bellus has.  I did measure a sample of adult D. novemcinctus (the smaller, modern armadillo), and your specimen is smaller than any in that sample.  The modern species has been in the USA for less than a hundred years, but that's plenty of time to find it's way into the stream-bottom debris.  A conservative label for this specimen might be "Dasypus sp."

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

check out this thread Sachs would have been collecting where I found these tiny osteoderms.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 6/11/2017 at 5:23 PM, Harry Pristis said:

It appears to be a Dasypus osteoderm.  It is so tiny, it may be only a guess as to which species it is.  I have no idea what size osteoderms a newborn D. bellus has.  I did measure a sample of adult D. novemcinctus (the smaller, modern armadillo), and your specimen is smaller than any in that sample.  The modern species has been in the USA for less than a hundred years, but that's plenty of time to find it's way into the stream-bottom debris.  A conservative label for this specimen might be "Dasypus sp."

Thank you for looking into this, Harry. 

23 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

check out this thread Sachs would have been collecting where I found these tiny osteoderms.

I remember this thread! Thanks for reminding me about it. I am going to re-photograph it on a penny. I think it is smaller that any of those in that thread. :)

56 minutes ago, old bones said:

Thank you for looking into this, Harry. 

I remember this thread! Thanks for reminding me about it. I am going to re-photograph it on a penny. I think it is smaller that any of those in that thread. :)

You might consider asking University of Florida museum of natural history fossil identification service to identify the species. @Sacha should provide actual find location. 

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

8 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

You might consider asking University of Florida museum of natural history fossil identification service to identify the species. @Sacha should provide actual find location. 

I've given Richard the coordinates of this spot, so Julianna just has to reference The Merritt Island micro site.

I don't know how to track it down, but a very similar osteoderm came from Rattlesnake creek matrix.....found by Marco Sr (I think) and sent back to me. I think I took a picture and started a thread. I'll try to track it down.

The thread is from Feb. 15th, 2014, but I don't know how to link it into this thread.

10 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

I will do that. Thanks :)

2 hours ago, Sacha said:

I've given Richard the coordinates of this spot, so Julianna just has to reference The Merritt Island micro site.

I don't know how to track it down, but a very similar osteoderm came from Rattlesnake creek matrix.....found by Marco Sr (I think) and sent back to me. I think I took a picture and started a thread. I'll try to track it down.

The thread is from Feb. 15th, 2014, but I don't know how to link it into this thread.

I'll send the pic to Dr. Hubert, John. I will find the thread you are referencing. Thank you. :)