A Weekend in Brechin

Kane

40 minutes ago, Northern Sharks said:

This is the finest example of Constellaria I've seen from that particular quarry and was good enough that another member made a special trip up to the pit from Arkona just to see if I'd missed any. I did and he was quite happy with what I'd left behind. Of course, this was before I knew just how rare it was.

I assume that would be me.  At first I was leaning towards Malcolm's ID as a paracrinoid.  After careful examination (what's possible from a photo) I have to agree with Kevin that it is a Constellaria.  The Constellaria is probably much rarer than the paracrinoid.  Paracrinoids have been found at JD but I know of only one other find of Constellaria.  Great Job

I wish I had stayed in better contact.  I would have loved a trip to JD.  It has been a while.  

• I found this Informative 2

Looks like you guys were having a great time and the finds were spectacular too. Looking forward to seeing Roger's finds too. I'm planning to visit there later in the month and excitement is building. Thanks for sharing.

Jeffry are you coming up with the NY group I am hosting on the weekend of the 24th ????

Great finds and pics, hard to finds better folks to hang out with for sure as well:)

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

You guys in ON/NY are in a Middle Paleozoic Elysium there... Keeps you busy I guess (as it would me). Get them while you can!  :raindance:

Here is Kane's ceraurus that he showed the picture of unprepped in the field at the beginning of this thread. It is definitely not in the best of shape. Missing most of the pygidium and the pygidial spines.

Prepped using 200 mesh dolomite at 30 PSI with a .018 nozzle. Prep time about 20 minutes. No air stylus used.

Looks a bit better in person than the picture but a lot of crush damage and eroding to the bottom third of the bug. I think this one needed to be found about a year earlier If it was actually complete I would probably done a bit of restoration to the bottom third but not really worth the effort on this bug

59418930e2d2d_KaneCerauruscrop2.thumb.jpg.84ac4819883b27d3ff1177298df0d3a0.jpg

5941892e5b9a5_KaneCerauruscrop1.thumb.jpg.c4367051c6824b6a4e8f76f93d71ce30.jpg

On the one hand, it is disappointing this one isn't full... But on the other hand, you did excellent work on this despite this bug's limitations. As it is my first prone Ceraurus, it will definitely go up on display. :fistbump:

Once again, masterful prep!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The crushing and flaking is quite typical for this location. Actually the top half of the trilo is very well preserved. You will just have to come back again and find a better one.

• I found this Informative 1

On 6/14/2017 at 3:13 PM, Malcolmt said:

Here is Kane's ceraurus that he showed the picture of unprepped in the field at the beginning of this thread. It is definitely not in the best of shape. Missing most of the pygidium and the pygidial spines.

Well, I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at that, since I haven't got a single one of those in my collection yet. Good job, Malcolm. You've certainly brought out the best on that one. Congrats, Kane!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/