Bguild

Can anyone say what the carboniferous plant in the lower left corner is? The vein preservation is poor, but is this maybe Mariopteris? Found at Cory's Lane, Rhode Island

Webp.net-compress-image.thumb.jpg.eafa045ac27662cd186af936d07b228f.jpg

S20170427_0017.thumb.jpg.b949c17a26185be2aaf3b488d5accb1d.jpg

From searching mariopteris, my amateur eye finds little difference.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

Mariopteris nervosa is known from the Rhode Island Formation. 

Flora list for Rhode Island Formation:

Rhode Island Formation Flora list.pdf

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'll stop here,because I know full well the dangers of old taxonomy.

M robusta,carnosa,hirsuta,soubeirani,opulenta,micro-Sauveuri,pachyphylla,lobatifolia,nobilis,Bourozi,Jacquoti,muricata,latifolia :might all be revised

Does look more similar to that, in my opinion. 

@fiddlehead    @paleoflor

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Maybe this helps:

GL065OdontopterisCB.thumb.jpg.695425b428fe780bd631d7b50a162a57.jpg

link to source

• I found this Informative 1

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Well after review of the Pteridospermopsida that are known to the Rhode Island Formation I couldn't find a closer match than Odontopteris cf. reichiana. To my amature eye it seemed to hit on just about everything (given the vein preservation isn't all that great). 

Capture.thumb.PNG.576d7719f07720558d97e6e41776398c.PNG

Capture2.PNG.ed0fca47ef7676f5b11df5ae00529029.PNG

image004.jpg.64f0659d3dfe9cf8ecb8e7474810146f.jpg

Laveine,2016:

"It is concluded that the species O. minor, O. reichiana and O. minor-zeilleri are all conspecific with O. brardii. The diagnosis of the genus Odontopteris sensu stricto and that of its type species Odontopteris brardii are emended."

For a view of the use of cuticular analysis of O. species:I recommend Kerp/Krings,2003

No one here has yet mentioned the doubts of Doubinger,Langiaux and Daber about O.reichiana

The finer intercalatory veins were not met with by Heyer OR Weiss in their material.And that was in 1884

So ,it just might be that what you think is Mariopteris is the species figured in fig. 2 here

5t6hb.jpg

This might be instructive(Rees,1993):

(Jurassic/Rhaetian)Sagenopteris,both leaves(laminae) nilssoniana

conclusion drawn  after extensive sampling!!!

"The occurrence of intermediate forms and the intimate association of entire-,undulating-, and lobed-margined leaflets provides strong
positive evidence for assigning them to the same species,despite the lack of cuticular information."

(italics mine)

Possible reason for this extreme case of polymorphism:photoperiod-related("ecological").

Also:position on frond(and of course this might be related)

reec.jpg

One of the main reasons I moved from thinking this was Mariopteris to Odontopteris reichiana was that the leaves of the specimen are concurrent. Mariopteris seems to have leaves alternating along either side of the pinnules.

1 hour ago, Bguild said:

One of the main reasons I moved from thinking this was Mariopteris to Odontopteris reichana was that the leaves of the specimen are concurrent. Mariopteris seems to have leaves alternating along either side of the pinnules.

It does appear to be concurrent like O. reichana, as well as having similar bifurcation of the veins on the leaves. I'd say O. reichana is a safe bet for now, but considering the metamorphism of the deposits and the similarity in pattern between O. reichana and Mariopteris sp. a solid ID is pretty hard to do. The concurrency of the leaves may just be due to deformation. 

@doushantuo, some of what you're posting is about the Monongahela and Dukard Groups of Pennsylvania, which is not stratigraphically equivalent to the Rhode Island Formation and was formed under different conditions. There are likely to be variations in leaf types, considering the Monongahela is a good five to twenty million years younger then the Rhode Island. I'd suggest finding literature on the Allegheny Group and the Conemaugh, which is more comparable age wise. 

• I found this Informative 2

I bow to someone with superior knowledge of Carboniferous phytogeography ,stratigraphy and paleo-ecology.

If anyone is offended by my hubris,I apologize deeply.

I'm not familiar with the Dukard group or reichana,but I take those to be typing errors .

Conemaugh flora,fairly recent floral lists in this one ,BTW

outtake:

reec.jpg

3 hours ago, doushantuo said:

I bow to someone with superior knowledge of Carboniferous phytogeography ,stratigraphy and paleo-ecology.

If anyone is offended by my hubris,I apologize deeply.

I'm not familiar with the Dukard group or reichana,but I take those to be typing errors .

Conemaugh flora,fairly recent floral lists in this one ,BTW

outtake:

reec.jpg

That report is good, but it's primary focus appears to be on conifers (Walchia sp. specifically) and their use as a tool to figure out paleoenvironments. 

I think this report (dated, but useful), is more of a "list" of floras and their descriptions of the Conemaugh:

https://books.google.com/books?id=3ZQPAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA145&lpg=PA145&dq=allegheny+group+flora+fossils&source=bl&ots=B-gRdvd2Jf&sig=vN9D_JKK-V0n2FHYapkhA-Psqmc&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwia36z4_b3UAhWBeD4KHUnYAJ4Q6AEIOzAF#v=onepage&q=allegheny group flora fossils&f=false

I found this which is still partial, but gives a decent run down on the flora of the Rhode Island Formation:

https://books.google.com/books?id=R9rNRTF2XxsC&pg=PA144&lpg=PA144&dq=rhode+island+formation+fossils&source=bl&ots=khNO29B65L&sig=ytsm5pMOLvr8dUxI0dhQFOWlKTY&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjo4fe9_73UAhXLMj4KHenuA-YQ6AEIfDAP#v=onepage&q=rhode island formation fossils&f=false

A good book that I managed to snag is called "Fossil Plants of the Eastern PA Anthracite Coal Fields". It includes a run down of most of the plant species, descriptions, pictures of them, and geologic maps and stratigraphy of the area. A useful tool for this since the Llewellyn Formation is roughly in the same time zone as the Rhode Island Formation.