Dubious Kem Kem 'Spinosaurus' Tooth

Hi, 

I've noticed a lot of talk about the different issues with theropod teeth that originate from the Kem Kem beds on this board, and it reminded me that I had a 'Spinosaurus' tooth in my collection. I bought it when I was a kid, and obviously didn't question it's legitimacy or ID in any way. But now that I'm older and have a lot more experience I noticed some features of the tooth that I find slightly dubious. Firstly is the size, it's small, only around 3cm which doesn't compare to some of the enormous teeth in the dentition of Spinosaurus that I've seen. Secondly is the presence of sandy matrix material around the base of the crown which as I've read on here can indicate restoration, and to me looks quite strange. I was wondering if anyone could help confirm if the tooth does appear to be from a Spinosaurid and whether or not it has been restored/composited in anyway. 

Thanks, 

Theo 

IMG_4784.thumb.JPG.8905572568722aeb814916319c58c48f.JPG

IMG_4782.thumb.JPG.3708210e1dc9d4540fa3856bd1798bea.JPG

IMG_4783.thumb.JPG.66f6c4e002c5d692af39b37d6dcaa05e.JPG

Spinosaurus teeth can come in all sizes. While 3cm is rather small, it's not unheard of.

The matrix does look uncomfortably thick. Are you able to scrap it off with a needle or something? Usually when we mention matrix being used to cover up restoration, it's seen on the mid point of a fossil rather than the base. If anything, the matrix on yours might be so the seller can "inflate" its size.

All in all, I would say you do have a Spinosaurid tooth, and it's not been restored or composited in any way.

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I agree with Andy.

Let me add that its shaped a bit odd, all my small Spinosaurid teeth have a sharper tip.  Moroccans like Andy said put matrix to cover up restorations but they also use it to cover problems and that ball of matrix at the end is indeed suspicious since it looks added not natural.  Its possible that what you have is a tip that has been broken off from a larger tooth and they are using the matrix to just cover the broken end.  Your first image however shows that you might be seeing the base of the enamel and the start of a root but it's hard to tell off a photo.

You won't know until it's removed and can be like Andy said just to increase its size.  

I personally don't think this looks that dubious. Thick crusts of matrix is pretty common on teeth. The enamel is smoother and thus crusts tend to peel off of the enamel more easily. It sticks to the root area better as it's not as smooth. Sure the matrix could hide a break and could just be a sloppy repair with some extra matrix thrown in. But not really much is added. For a botched composite or sculpture I'd expect more root. I don't think this has been tampered with too much.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

To me it looks legit.  Having handled thousands of these teeth I think the matrix on the root looks 100% natural.  It does stick to the root area in just this way.  I have a number of similar teeth.  It can be difficult to remove this matrix without damaging the tooth, whereas if the matrix is on the crown where the enamel is present it comes off much easier.

Seth

fossil-shack-new-banner-use-copy.png
www.fossilshack.com

www.americanfossil.com

www.fishdig.com

Hi, 

Thanks for all your help and opinions, the matrix on the root is quite an interesting feature I'll try and remove some of it and see what lies underneath. There's what looks like a small 'crack' around the margin between the enamel and matrix so I'll definitely investigate that too, to see if the crown has been added, although as has been said it could be entirely natural. It's nice to know that it is Spinosaurid though, 11 year old me wouldn't be too disappointed aha! I'll post the results at some point to show what's beneath.