Collecting Fossils in New England and New York

paleogeorge

Would love to go collecting fossils this July. Trilobites and Ammonites are high on my list. Can anyone suggest places to go in New England or New York? I'm a geologist/micro-paleontologist (foraminifera) but have never collected macro-fossils in the North-east. I currently live in CT. Any guidance much appreciated. 

Edited by paleogeorge

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

Well, you are out of luck with Ammonites in the north- east. :( 

Upstate New York is full of promising sites. 

Some of my Favorites are the Middle Devonian Deep Springs Road site, the Ordovician Little Falls  site, and the Cole Hill Road Site. 

Penn Dixie is worth a weekend trip, as well as a few other localities in that area. 

These have all been posted on the Forum before, if you do a search here on the forum, you should come up with pertinent information. 

If you get stuck at all, shoot me a Private Message. ;) 

Good Luck. 

Regards, 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

If you would like a hunting partner, I happen to live in New York and could meet you at the places Tim mentioned. Or if you just want some information I can help with that too. Pm me if you wish.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Ammonite chamber fragments can be found in the Cretaceous age sites in Monmouth County, NJ. Goniatites, ancestors of ammonites, are found in a number of Middle Devonian sites in the Hudson Valley, Helderberg Plateau and in Central New York. Trilobites are found at a number of Ordovician and Devonian sites throughout New York and western Vermont. Good luck. PM me for more specifics.

Oh, there are more than fragments in those NJ Cretaceous formations. I had the pleasure of seeing the MAPS collection of Ralph Johnson. Drawers and drawers of amazing ammonites. Unfortunately many of the sites that produced such amazing specimens are now built over or otherwise inaccessible.

I would also strongly suggest joining the New York Paleontological Society. You can attend a meeting and meet them before joining. Tell the president Don Phillips Erich Rose suggested you attend. The only qualifier to that is that you will have to wait until next September as they don't hold meetings in the summer. They may still be doing a June filed trip so try emailing them for info.