Carboniferous plants

Gibbo88

Here are a few bits that I have found local to me, there is loads of fossil bearing rock and it produces some nice pieces. I will put a photo up at a later date of a large plant fossil that was found here. The strata is Carboniferous in age and is accessible via a stream cutting. I have also found a nice piece of brach with the leaf scars. 

thanks Alex

IMG_20170613_180223.jpg

IMG_20170613_180434.jpg

IMG_20170613_180236.jpg

IMG_20170325_144503.jpg

IMG_20170325_144510.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

6 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

What part of the world are you in?

Hi I am in the UK. I live in leek in Staffordshire certain parts of the region were mined for coal and iron which was taken from the Carboniferous rocks of the area. Although in Leek we are actually on Triassic rock but locally to me there are outcrops of carboniferous rocks which contain many plant remains. Here's a few more stems from the above area really well preserved with detail and they have kept their shape. :)

1497419553639790510575.jpg

Looks like a good site to collect.

I would recommend sunlight for photo's, though..

Great finds. Would you share the location? Could meet up one day, I'm in Manchester. Yeah, I know, the M6... happy to show you Offerton but ferns are small and difficult get out in reasonable condition as the shale is so fragile. I've got lots of Paraloid though!

oh, tell me that's not a real car...

Lol no not a real car although they would be some awesome sized fossils. Yes could share some local sites to me the manifold valley is also good for crinoids and other marine fossils, I even found a bronze age carving and some roman beads as an added extra.

Yes I need a better camera to be honest the one I'm currently using is one on a pad that does not even have a flash :(. I be been offered a massive collection of minerals from a guy they were collected from all over the world by a geology professor from the 40's. I asked how much for the lot and he wants 1500 bit heavy he's going send !e the pics today. :)

• I found this Informative 1

Hey Alex, flash isn't good for fossil photography if it's on the camera (rather than off camera such as professional studio flash) good outdoor light is best. :) 

lookiing forward to a meet sometime!

• I found this Informative 1

Here's a piece of stigmaria that I found at one of the sites. It was lying in the bottom of the stream.

IMG_20170618_144653.jpg

IMG_20170618_144745.jpg

I have found this really big section of fossil wood but extracting could be a problem . Any tips would plaster jacket work?