Sign in to follow this  
Sportbikemike1

Gear for Poricy Park

Sportbikemike1

Thinking about heading down to Poricy Park on Sunday.   Get the kids out for Fathers Day.  Was wondering what gear to bring and what to expect?  Searched and saw some pictures of finds people have posted but no one says how they found or where they found the items.  Any info would be great.

Mike

Darktooth

Many years ago we went to Poricy Park on a Sunday and it was closed. So I would check to see what the hours of operation are. Maybe the times have changed. Also to my knowledge Poricy Park has the same types of fossils as Big Brook and Ramanessan. So if the park is closed you could always go to the other brooks. As for tools you need something to sift the gravel in the stream. A small shovel or trowel to scoop the gravel with. Or you could just surface scan, but then you are limited to what fossils may or may not be on the surface. Fossils will be found on or in the gravel bars.

Sportbikemike1

Thanks, I'll check it out

Jeffrey P

Poricy Park is open as far as I know. I went there this winter. Primarily it is surface collecting the stream bed and gravel bars- Cretaceous oyster shells from the Navesink Formation. I also found a really nice brachiopod there. Sifting you might possibly find a shark tooth, but they are uncommon there. I would just bring footwear for wading in the stream and something to carry your finds in. Nice place to be on a hot day. Big Brook and Ramanessan aren't far from there and produce a lot more vertebrate fossils, especially shark teeth, so I would check them out too.

SouthJerseyBoy

I went there today.  There is a parking lot for the fossil beds (1083 Middleotwn-Lincroft Rd)  that is a different location from the park entrance.  There a couple of places I noticed that the oyster bed was exposed in the bank walls at the waterline.  It was pretty cool, took some pics.

JohnJ

(Fyi - topic over 2 years old)

Coco

Hi,

FYI is "For Your Information" ? I’m trying to understand your american abbreviations ;)

Coco

Randyw
26 minutes ago, Coco said:

Hi,

FYI is "For Your Information" ? I’m trying to understand your american abbreviations ;)

Coco

Yes it is. :D

Coco

:yay-smiley-1:

Coco